Door glass adjustment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantOv

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach1
I finished installing the new door and window weatherstriping and see that on my passenger door the window doesn't press firmly against my rear fixed window vertical weatherstrip. There is a small gap. This was an issue both before and after I replaced the weatherstripping.

It appears to me that in order to fix this gap, I need to adjust the angle of my main door window to angle very slightly inward. Is this something that a novice can do or that is quite common to need to do?

I doubt I can capture the small gap in pictures. The gap is most noticeable at the upper end of the window when fully extended along the rear side of the window.

If you take the inner door panels off you can access the adjusters….there are forward backward, in out angle and tilt front back adjustments you can do.

Tip, get a suction handle or two from harbor freight, put car in center of garage, close the problem door and adjust position with suction cups, then tighten from crawling through other side open door. Do it in spring before summer heat!!!!! Been there!!!

Mine has the convertible top and somewhat flexible windshield pillar in the mix. If the top rear is low, the window might need a slight rotation to bring that up level. Beware rotating the top rear into plane might open similar gap in front lower corner near mirror.

Or in my case, hitting the windshield pillar first stopped full upward motion and sealing. Moving the window slightly rearward received that pressure

What you will find is every action has an equal and opposite reaction!!! Find your happy place!

Last edited:
I could never get mine to adjust to the quarter window seal. I ended up separating the trim from the window and rolled it out using a 4 inch abs pipe.
There is also adjustment in the quarter window. Sounds like you have a small gap though and should be able to adjust it no problem. Check the alignment of the door and quarter panel, you may just have to move the striker in slightly to close the gap. Make small adjustments and check the fit. Good luck.

Back