Door Panel Reenforcement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccijwright

Reaction score
My Car
1996 Cobra Convert
1973 Mach 1
Does anyone know the best way to re-enforce the back of a door panel where the clips attach? Mine are kind of jacked up from previous owner removing the panel incorrectly.

once the retainer hole has ripped out it is hard to repair in a way that will survive more than one installation/removal cycle. The rip just moves to the edge of the patch the next time it is removed. This will sound ridiculous but, I have successfully used Scotch Fastener (3M), 1 inch wide velcro strips with adhesive backing adhered to the door and door panel. Just put the strip inboard of where the upholstery wraps around the door panel. Both surfaces need to be super clean and the "cardboard" door panel needs to be sealed with something, I used primer sealer. I did this out of desperation because no reproduction door panels were available for the car. It actually worked to my surprise. And the velcro was not visible. I know it is a bush league fix but, it did work. Just a thought. Chuck

Does anyone know the best way to re-enforce the back of a door panel where the clips attach? Mine are kind of jacked up from previous owner removing the panel incorrectly.
I assume you are talking about reinforcing the press board on the door panel, where the metal spring clips slide into the rectangular hole.

First, I try to repair the hole by putting/shaping/glue the pressboard back as much as I can.

Second, I take 3"x3"x1/16" thick piece of paper or firm(not necessarily stiff) plastic and cut out a square hole to match the door panel. Then I glue it to the panel with urethane glue.

SOOOOOOOOOOO much better.

The fork of the tool needs to straddle the fastener clip. I use tools like this.

IMG_0596.jpg

Back