dying seat belts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chargis1973

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1
351 clevland
I read somewhere that you can dye ur seat belts to any color anyone know where i could get this dye or what it is called. Mine are brown and wanna dye them black . open to any suggestions....

I read somewhere that you can dye ur seat belts to any color anyone know where i could get this dye or what it is called. Mine are brown and wanna dye them black . open to any suggestions....
Rit fabric dye..walmart

Rit fabric dye..walmart
RIT is kind of like duct tape, you can use it on just about anything. I've had good success dying ABS plactic RC car parts with the stuff but only if going to a darker color. I heated up a huge pot on the stove with water & the dye and basically boiled the dye and parts. It turned out great. I haven't tried seat belts but I bet it would work...but only if going to a darker color.

you can dye to a darker color not lighter.

they make a RIT fabric bleach that will slightly lighten a color but you will never go back to a light color.

you could take a red to a green or black, something like that but you could not go from a black to a blue color or black to a red color.

they do make Dye spray paint that is a little different its suppose to be for a hard surface not cloth. that stuff basically is spray paint.

and the pigment is thick enough that you could built up a lighter color on top of a darker color.

it will look terrible like you dipped the fabric in a bucket of paint. after a little while the fabric will fray and you will have little pieces of paint all over the interior breaking off the fabric.

there are companies that will refurbish a seat belt, change the fabric and reuse your buckles. a few places do it for 50-100$

you can call a local upholstery place and ask about having your seatbelts refurbished, since the belt is a special material and should have a safety decal stitched to it.

I'm trying to remember from 7 years ago if they place was called Snakeskin seat belts that did mine

ah it was Python Restoration

http://www.pythonrestoration.com/Ford_Belts.php

I used 1970s standard because it matched what was in my car originally for early 72.

I'm trying to remember from 7 years ago if they place was called Snakeskin seat belts that did mine

ah it was Python Restoration

http://www.pythonrestoration.com/Ford_Belts.php
I checked out the website. Pretty cool. This was the first pic on their site under Customer cars... nice seal belt.

69_Mach_1_Look_Closely.JPG

I washed mine, and painted the Rit Dye on with a bussh, did one side at a time and dried between coats...then slid the adjusters and did what I missed........they came out fine.

Back