engine tick

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casperfast

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach one 351 Cleveland, 95 eagle talon awd 744hp@38psi, 95 eagle talon fwd, is nismo titan.
getting this ticking from my 4v. i think it is a collapsed lifter. i had the valve covers off and non of the pushrods were loose and i rechecked the rocker torque. i went ahead and ordered a new set of push rods and ill swap them out with new lifters. but the engine also has a misfire and is really hard to start when cold. i re timed it and the same result. i actually had to retard it a little because it was back fireing through the carb on heavy fast rev. any ideas?

yes i agree. i know it has a miss, not sure where yet, i plan on doing a compression test soon.

Hope its not a wipe cam lobe. Had a lifter collapsed on a newly rebuilt clever a few yrs back after a few hundred miles and it sounded more like a rod knock. Wiped ex lobe will kick back thru the carb under some load. Hope its none of these.

Check the spark plugs for a dead cylinder. While you have the spark plugs out and the valve covers off crank the engine and make sure you're getting correct lift on all lifters.

If those are OK check for fuel delivery problems.

Could also be the distributor has twisted a little and timing is now way off.. Also, the timing chain may be stretched out of specs.. If the oil pressure is up to par, I'd look at the mechanicals in the valve train... As mentioned above, the cam lobe or lobes might be worn..

When I had the engine out to extract some broken exhaust bolts I resealed the oil pan. I inspected the cam from below and it looked really good. Ill pull and swap plugs, compression test and recheck the lift with the covers off today.

Back