Estimated HP?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkelley

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1

• 351C-4V "Q-Code"
• Cammed, Hooker Longtubes, Edelbrock Manifold, Holley 600CFM, Glasspacks, Unknown Gears
• C4 Auto
Seems like the most asked question about the car is "How much HP?". I never was good at estimating power unless it was with quad motors (they were my first love). So, I was wondering how much HP I would be looking at with my mods.

• Unknown Cam

• 10:1 Pistons

• Holley 600CFM

• Edelbrock Manifold

• Hooker Longtubes, No Cats

• Dual Glasspacks

Seems like the most asked question about the car is "How much HP?". I never was good at estimating power unless it was with quad motors (they were my first love). So, I was wondering how much HP I would be looking at with my mods.

• Unknown Cam

• Holley 600CFM

• Edelbrock Manifold

• Dual Glasspacks
Alot depends on the cam :(

• Unknown Cam

• Holley 600CFM

• Edelbrock Manifold

• Dual Glasspacks
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I don't really know where to call it.

• Unknown Cam

• Holley 600CFM

• Edelbrock Manifold

• Dual Glasspacks
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I don't really know where to call it.
Just tell them "enough HP to whip their chevies A$$"

Great formula Jim and will work if one has the "numbers."

The problem in this case is that he does not know the specifications on the camshaft so he does not know how much torque he is making at the given RPM.

As an aside, for street driven cars, a more relevant question would be how much torque is the car making and at what RPM. That is why the bigger engines generally have such a great reputation. They usually make a lot more torque at lower RPM.

But to figure torque (using a similar formula) he would need to know what HP he should be making at a particular RPM. That is why dynoing an engine is important if you REALLY want to know the answers to those two questions.

BT

Yeah, I'm gonna get it on the dyno as soon as I can. I was just wondering if anyone might be able to make an estimate off the top of their head.

Thanks for the info, guys.

you say edelbrock also but which one.just a performer or are you getting an air gap. Personally I would suggest the air gap {unless of course you want to have a functional ram air} When we put my engine on the dyno I had 385 hp with the stock intake. {not good enough hahaha} so I replaced it with the air gap and jumped to 435hp. And as far as the rest,I agree with everyone else you will need to get cam specs to figure out the rest. If you have money to spend a dyno simulator on a computer is pretty accurate. You can pretty much try all different types of combo's until you find something that works for you. But I don't think they are cheap. here is a link to a site with a {excuse my french} shite load of Cleveland builds. You can get a good idea of what it takes to get a certain amount of Hp. If you go to my Garage there is a complete list of what has been done to my engine.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/263038/

I'm sure this will help

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back