Exhaust cutouts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Hey is anyone running electric exhaust cutouts? I am probably gonna put on a new exhaust over the winter and was thinking about putting on some electric dumps just after the headers. I just wondered how long the motors last? I dont want to put them on and have them die after a year. I always thought it would be cool to flip a switch and have open headers. Also has anyone run thr PYPES brand exhaust kit for our cars?? I was wanting it to sound good but not too quiet. I have headers and straight glass packs on now. Sounds good and has hell of a crack but not a real nice rumble. Any input is appriciated guys !! Kevin

Saw a set in Knoxville. WaY too cool! Thought the same myself but even if they fail open you can force em closed. Guess it depends on Summitts warranty. They also make manual ones you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the manual ones with the cable that looked like a choke cable. But thats not nearly as fun. I was looking around and they seem to run in the $300-400 range for a set. It would just be fun to uncork the headers when leaving a cruise and do a nice smoky burnout LOL:D

A guy with a 71 here in Norway installed electric cut outs from summit. He said that the switch was crap, he had to buy a new one almost right away.

I have also heard that they will leak.

Some pics and video with bad sound:

24vk86a.jpg

4toys1.jpg

At about 8 sec he opens them up:)

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW!! you can definately tell when he opens them up!! Thats cool!! I never realized how much real estate they eat up under there. I was wondering how well they sealed up when closed. That would suck to have an exhaust leak all the time. One thing that drives me nuts is a small exhaust leak, like fingernails on a chalk board to me:( Something that i may still look into. Maybe a better quality one than summits brand. ??

I put a set in my car. They do need to be tweaked on occasion as the flap will loosen up. The brand is Badlanz. I don't use them that often as the car is really loud with them open. I don't regret putting them in.

I put a set in my car. They do need to be tweaked on occasion as the flap will loosen up. The brand is Badlanz. I don't use them that often as the car is really loud with them open. I don't regret putting them in.
I think i saw a set from them on ebay. Is that where you got them from? How long have you had them on your car?

A friend of mine has a 72 Stang coupe with built up Windsor 351 with the electric cut outs. He's had the car for 3 years with no issues. Of course he only takes the car to cruises and an occasional show. He lives in a somewhat rural area so he doesn't get too many hassles from the neighbors. When he is running open, you can hear him coming from a 1/4 mile away.

I'm pretty sure the setup is the same as pictured above.

I think i saw a set from them on ebay. Is that where you got them from? How long have you had them on your car?
I did get them from E bay. I have them around 2 years. I think they have a 5 year warranty on the motor.

Back