Exhaust Manifold Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1, 351 Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Automatic, AM/8 Track, Bright Red.
The previous owner of my 71 M Code put 2V heads on rather than rebuilding the 4V closed chambered heads, apparently it was common since the 2V heads allowed the use of lower octane fuel and many believe it's improves every day driving experience by increasing low end torque.

In any case I'm putting 4V closed chambered heads back on it and was looking for a set of 4V exhaust manifolds when a friend told me he believes the car still has the 4V exhaust manifolds on it.

First question- can you use 2V heads with 4V exhaust manifolds?

Second question - can anyone tell me from this picture which exhaust manifold it has on it, 4V or 2V. Driver's side, best pic I could get without removing stuff.

Driver\'sside.jpg

Driver\'sside2.jpg

Don from OMS was able to set me up with a "date correct" set of 4V closed chambered heads for my engine last year, they're out of the machine shop where I had some upgrades made and ready to be bolted on. Although the previous car owner gave me the 4V intake with the car, I'm going with a 4V Edelbrock Performer. I will soon be able to tell you guys first hand the difference between 2V and 4V heads on the same engine. I currently have the 2V Edelbrock Performer intake on the car so the only difference will be the heads.

1.jpg

Jim

It would help if I flipped the photo over.

Flipped.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Measure the exhaust ports on the heads and compare that to the sizes of the exhaust manifold openings. There's enough difference in 2V and 4V sizes that it will be obvious.

That's best photo I could get, couldn't the whole number. The reinforcement ridge is why my friend thinks they're 4V.

Measure the exhaust ports on the heads and compare that to the sizes of the exhaust manifold openings. There's enough difference in 2V and 4V sizes that it will be obvious.
Agree, but I'm trying to get all the parts I need on hand prior to tearing it down so it doesn't sit for an extended period of time waiting on me to find the parts. If those aren't 4V exhaust manifolds I plan on picking up a pair prior to doing the tear down.

Jim

Jim,

Hard to tell from pic but the part number looks like 9431-AB...

The correct 4V manifolds for 71-73 mustangs are...

LH D1ZE-9431-BA and RH D0AE-9430-G

Jeff
Appears the prior owner left the old 4V exhaust manifolds on it when he switched the heads form 4V to 2V, surprised they don't leak.

Jim

Jim,

Hard to tell from pic but the part number looks like 9431-AB...

The correct 4V manifolds for 71-73 mustangs are...

LH D1ZE-9431-BA and RH D0AE-9430-G

Jeff
Jeff,

I should have read your post closer, you nailed it but I transposed the A&B and jumped to the conclusion I had 4V manifolds, I was wrong...but I've since purchased the correct set so I can continue to move forward, thanks!

Jim

exhaust.jpg

Back