Extrude honing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeB

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
351C-4V M-Code
Does anyone have any experience with extrude honing? I am considering having the factory intake for my 351C-4V done for some extra flow with a factory look. Thoughts?

Does anyone have any experience with extrude honing? I am considering having the factory intake for my 351C-4V done for some extra flow with a factory look. Thoughts?
Don't have any personal experience but that is one of the tricks the F.A.S.T. guys use. Works on exhaust manifolds too.

Do you need the extra flow? There is another train of thought that the smooth surface reduces turbulance and that the turbulance actually helps keep the air/fule mixed.

I doubt you will see much performance gain but that's more of a guess based on reading and such. I have no personal experience.

If available yet, get a Scott Cook 351C intake, and paint it.

You will have an intake that looks stock and works better than the iron piece at a fraction of the weight.

And have some leftover cash to boot... Extrude Hone isn't cheap.

I have some experience with it. But only on an intake intended for fuel Injection. I had a Trick Flow long runner intake X-honed on a supercharged 393w. It did wonders. It's this abrasive putty that they force through the part. The putty takes the "path of least resistance" and hones and polishes as it goes through. I have heard doing this in a carbed intake can cause puddling at low RPM. Unless you are planning EFI, I would recommend a good aftermarket aluminum intake and then port match and polish the runners.

Thanks for the info, I like the look of the Scott Cook piece and may look into going that route when I get to that point in the project.

Latest posts

Back