Factory looking aftermarket radio

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill1101

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang convert
1963 1/2 Galaxie 500 FE 406
Not sure if this has been discussed lately, but what company makes a quality aftermarket radio with modern features that looks factory?

I had my original AM 8-track radio converted to modern AM/FM with input jack and bluetooth by Mike at Resto Radio ( https://retroradio.biz/ ).
Thanks Rocketman for the referral, I have researched the Aurora Designs conversion but was concerned which dealer to use. The Aurora Designs website lists a lot and didn't know who to trust with my radio.

I recently installed a headless stereo in one of my cars. You can leave your factory AM radio in the dash and just not use it.
The aftermarket one is just a little black box with a wired controller coming out of it. You pair your phone to it and stream music over bluetooth from spotify/apple music/pandora/youtube.

It has the usual car stereo things like constant 12 input, switched 12v input, ground, preamp outputs, and pairs of wires for 4 speakers. The remote can be stashed in the glovebox, console, or under the seat.

Thanks for the input. I was hoping for AM/FM and maybe a cassette player? I still have a lot of great tapes. I am really not all that up to date on the technology side of things as you can probably guess from the cassettes, but if I could at least listen to FM radio that would be great.

I recently installed the USA-740 and fits perfectly into my 73 vert. Has AM/FM, bluetooth, aux, and USB. Not sure if you'll find something to play cassette tapes unless you get yours converted. I didn't want to have my factory radio internals changed in case I ever sold the car and the new owner wants it back to factory. That's why I opted for a replacement.

For the 740 - I had a question. What you you recommend regarding speaker wiring for dual 4ohm voice coil dash center, 4ohm R&L door speakers, 6ohm R&L rear speaker and powered slim subwoofer? I think RCA to the sub, straight wiring to the side and rears but not sure how to handle the center also? What would you recommend? A 2 or 4 channel amp?

I have a RetroSound Motor 4HD model available. I installed it, didn't like the way it worked, returned to the original AM/FM. I wanted something that looked as stock as possible, but with all the additions (bluetooth, etc) controlled by just the two radio knobs, it didn't suit me. Make an offer if interested. Since I have two of the originals, I'm thinking I may go the retrofit route (retroradio mentioned earlier).

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/...arch/products/1969-73-ford-mustang-retroradio

For the 740 - I had a question. What you you recommend regarding speaker wiring for dual 4ohm voice coil dash center, 4ohm R&L door speakers, 6ohm R&L rear speaker and powered slim subwoofer? I think RCA to the sub, straight wiring to the side and rears but not sure how to handle the center also? What would you recommend? A 2 or 4 channel amp?
I'm probably nobhelp here. I also bought classic autosounds best direct fit replacement radio. It's still new in the box, also probably will sell to any 7173er for a cheaper price. I ended up just putting a Bluetooth sound bar that attaches to my roll cage, taken from an off road side by side. It actually sounds great.
Sorry couldn't be of more help. I went for simple.
Manny

I recently installed a headless stereo in one of my cars. You can leave your factory AM radio in the dash and just not use it.
The aftermarket one is just a little black box with a wired controller coming out of it. You pair your phone to it and stream music over bluetooth from spotify/apple music/pandora/youtube.

It has the usual car stereo things like constant 12 input, switched 12v input, ground, preamp outputs, and pairs of wires for 4 speakers. The remote can be stashed in the glovebox, console, or under the seat.
Any details on which one you chose?

Any details on which one you chose?
BOSS Audio Systems MC900B. So far, its a couple years old and still working fine. I like that it pairs with my phone in under a couple seconds when I turn on the key. I stuck the wired remote for it in the ash tray of my truck. It closes up nicely and hides out of sight. The only buttons I need to use on a regular basis are the volume up and down. Everything else is done on the phone. I guess if I had to complain about anything, maybe its underpowered. It sounds like a $150 radio. So you get what you pay for. I have not bothered to wire up an amp and a subwoofer to give it some balls.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IBI518Y

1715018955506.png

The radio will most likely have "Front and Rear" speaker wires. Usually, the minimum ohms per channel is 4 ohms. You might want to check the radio specifications to be sure. Typically, in this case, you will wire the front door speakers and the dual voice coil dash speaker "in-series" per channel to the "Front" speaker wires. Unfortunately, this "In-Series" wiring will net you 8 ohms per channel and will cut output power by 50%. If you are lucky and the spec shows that the speaker outputs are 2 ohm capable, wiring the speakers in "Parallel" will maintain power output. You can go ahead and wire the speakers in parallel, but the net 2 ohms will cause the radio amplifier to heat up prematurely. if you are rocking the house with this lower impedance wiring, you can burn out the radio's amplifier. You can - and should use a 100ufd bi-polar cap on the (+) terminal of both of the dash speakers to limit their bass response. These caps will mask the true impedance of the speaker and could save your radio amplifier.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2228857654...QzvGdkkj5t3Xwb9PywMtAN85U=|tkp:Bk9SR6qThO7pYw

Connect the 6 ohm rear speakers to the rear set of speaker outputs on the radio and the Sub Line Out goes to the slim powered woofer. This should be quiet a satisfying system.

Thanks for the input. I was hoping for AM/FM and maybe a cassette player? I still have a lot of great tapes. I am really not all that up to date on the technology side of things as you can probably guess from the cassettes, but if I could at least listen to FM radio that would be great.
I have a buddy that took a factory AM/FM cassette out of an 80 something Ford and installed it in his 72 Mustang. It looks stock and correct other than you know it never happened, but I wouldn't care as long as you aren't hacking the dash then it is all reversible. He has a ton of good cassettes that he loves and carries them in the briefcase like back in the day. He still has some mix tapes he made for his then girl friend/now wife and they still play. Trick is finding a radio that the tape deck still works or finding someone who can repair it. Just a suggestion that might work for you.

Back