Fan shroud

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robnbama

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach one
Hey guys, I have a 1973 Mach one that I bought with no engine and dropped a 460 in and now I need to buy the fan blade, clutch and shroud. Does anybody know if the OEM fan blade, clutch and shroud for a 351 will fit this 460? The car originally had a/c. I've searched for these parts on a 1971 429 but cannot find any available.

Rob,

It all depends on which motor mounts, plates & stands were used. If stock type 71 429 Mustang, then no. If the full size Ford mounts & 351 C stands were used, then yes.

I completed the same installation and used all 71 429 items and it works well with clearances fitment, etc.

The issue with full size Ford mounts & 351 C stands is that exhaust & accessory clearances could be an issue.

The "429 Megasite" has all the information on the 71 parts & model #'s you will need.

If you have any questions, send me a PM, I would be happy to discuss with you.

Thanks, Jay

I used my cleveland radiator, fan and shroud when I installed my 460, no fan clutch though. My car didn't have one when I bought it.

I had to enlarge the pilot hole in the fan to 3/4" to work with the larger 460 w/p shaft. I had to trim the bottom of the fan shroud to fit over the crankshaft pulley to be able to install the shroud. Used stock mounts for radiator. The car has never overheated.

I would love to put a fan clutch on but I only have about 3 1/4" inches from the face of the hub on the w/p to the radiator. It doesn't look like one would fit.

Thanks Jay and Tommy. By the time I bought the shroud, fan and clutch I could buy this new aluminum radiator with electric fans and tranc cooler. What do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3-ROW-ALL-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-71-72-73-FORD-MUSTANG-COUGAR-WITH-12-FANS-/290904127665?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1973%7CModel%3AMustang&hash=item43bb3cb8b1&vxp=mtr
Don't know anything about that specific radiator. Summit has decent aluminum radiators for around $210. The Champion aluminum radiators seem to get good reviews as well.

I don't think those fans will do jack. I would use either an OEM Taurus, Mark VIII or Contour fan depending on fitment requirements with a DCC controller.

Back