The “correct” fan shroud

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
So I’ve stumped you guys? I’m leaving town soon and I’m worried I’ll get a great question with no way, again, to respond. What other info do I need to find the right shroud or find out if my 19” fan dream is just a nightmare in the making?
Well, if you are intent on using that 19" diam. fan, for sure the 351 shroud won't work as it is as the opening diameter is right on 19". Now as you are creating a what is basically a 302 with a huge fan. you probably will need to
"create" a fan shroud to suit. Personally with my background in automotive prototyping of air induction components, I would just make my own, but using the stock shroud and inserting a new "ring", if you will, at the needed diameter. That would entail building up a fiberglass part and blending it in. I do realize that unless a person has that ability to work with f/g, easier said than done, but something you might want to think about.

Hemikiller

Tech Advisors
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
65 coupe
I think your post with the drawing got lost in the new software shuffle. I'll measure one of my shrouds this evening.

Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/408C stroker
What about an existing shroud and cutting and inserting like a stainless steel opening? Paint the whole thing in a mat black? Crazy?
After reading this thread I went to measure my fan. I do have a 19" fan with what I "believe" (see note below) is the stock shroud. The shroud has been modified by cutting the bottom of it. That's the fan that was in the car when I bought it. The shroud was cut but I had to further the cut after I installed my new radiator and TKO600 which changed the drivetrain angle and shroud location. That said, it should work. How much to cut will depend also in your drivetrain angle since the radiator is horizontal while the fan has a tilt to it.

Edit PS: i said that I think the shroud is stock, but I must say that I don't know for sure. My car came with a lot of weird stuff adapted to it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is to make roadworthy. Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
Why don’t some of you guys move west? Like AZ or Nevada. Sometimes I feel like I’m living in a black hole. And they made the dam cars in San Jose . . .

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
And they made the dam cars in San Jose . . .
Actually not. 71-73 were made in Dearborn and Metuchen only. Earlier Mustangs were made in San Jose as well as Dearborn and I assume Metuchen.
My car has a San Jose DSO number, but made in Dearborn.
As for Tony's post, indeed good info on engine angle and height. You may have to build accordingly after the motor is situated. i.e. don't put the cart before the horse.

Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is to make roadworthy. Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
Agree, I was hoping for a mustang miracle as in, “Yea I did that, etc…” I think my car maybe a misfit toy after I’m done!

Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/408C stroker
After reading this thread I went to measure my fan. I do have a 19" fan with what I "believe" (see note below) is the stock shroud. The shroud has been modified by cutting the bottom of it. That's the fan that was in the car when I bought it. The shroud was cut but I had to further the cut after I installed my new radiator and TKO600 which changed the drivetrain angle and shroud location. That said, it should work. How much to cut will depend also in your drivetrain angle since the radiator is horizontal while the fan has a tilt to it.

Edit PS: i said that I think the shroud is stock, but I must say that I don't know for sure. My car came with a lot of weird stuff adapted to it.
Replying to myself here. After i wrote my post i decided to investigate. My shroud is marked as d3ze-8146-ab so it is from a 1973.

Hemikiller

Tech Advisors
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
65 coupe
Took a couple quick measurements off a D3ZE shroud

Width - 27"
fan opening diameter- 20"
Opening is offset 1/2" to the passenger side 4" on left, 3" on right.

20" is really tight for a 19" fan. The other problem is if your drawing is oriented properly, the center of the water pump is much lower than the 71-73 setup. I measured a 302 and it's 7" crank center to water pump center.

1641437939131.png