First car?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My car fits right in with this site. I drove my dads '76 Chevy Blazer through high school. Then I joined the service right after I graduated. When I got to Hickam AFB, I bought my first car. A '71 mustang Fastback. It was the coolest car I had ever seen. I was all black with a 351c, 2v heads with a Holley 600, Edelbrock intake, and a C6 with 3.25:1.

That car had such an impact on my I made sure to purchase another one, hence my '73 Mach-1. All black, 4v 351c with a C6 with 3.73:1.

Cant believe i missed this thread on the first go around. Anyhow my first car was a 1985 ford ranger!! Yeah baby!!

First mustang was a 1986 fox body LX. Had the o-so powerful 2.3liter 4 banger!!!

Cant believe i missed this thread on the first go around. Anyhow my first car was a 1985 ford ranger!! Yeah baby!!

First mustang was a 1986 fox body LX. Had the o-so powerful 2.3liter 4 banger!!!
I may be the first to say this to you but, both those are cool cars. The 2.3l can be a very good motor with the addition of a turbo and a Vovlo DOHC head.

Yeah, I missed this thread on the first go around too. My first car was the 65 vert in my sig. It's in my garage right now. :D Parents bought it new 6 years before I was born. I started driving it when I was 2 and for the next 12 years I put 200,000 miles on it pretending. Then I really started driving it when I got my learner's permit at 14. Wrecked it at 15. Fixed it and drove it off & on until 97.

I also had a 74 VW SunBug and a 81 Scirocco. I mostly drove (beat to death) the scirocco. Then had 90 - 150 different cars between HS and now (seriously, I've had that many cars just about every popular manufacturer). In all the cars I've owned Mustangs were/are my favorite followed by VWs. Hondas and Toyotas always did well but now I'm off topic.

Not sure if someone has already done this.

Just wanted to know what your first car was/is?

Mine is a 1986 Buick Regal with a 307 and the rare double neutral transmission option.
What is a double neutral?

1976 VW Scirocco. Dark blue with rust EVERYWHERE! Smelled a little mildewey too. Gutless 4 cyl but man was it fun.

I loved my scirocco. Very fun car that delivered many pizzas back in the day. lol

Yeah, I missed this thread on the first go around too. My first car was the 65 vert in my sig. It's in my garage right now. :D Parents bought it new 6 years before I was born. I started driving it when I was 2 and for the next 12 years I put 200,000 miles on it pretending. Then I really started driving it when I got my learner's permit at 14. Wrecked it at 15. Fixed it and drove it off & on until 97.

I also had a 74 VW SunBug and a 81 Scirocco. I mostly drove (beat to death) the scirocco. Then had 90 - 150 different cars between HS and now (seriously, I've had that many cars just about every popular manufacturer). In all the cars I've owned Mustangs were/are my favorite followed by VWs. Hondas and Toyotas always did well but now I'm off topic.

Not sure if someone has already done this.

Just wanted to know what your first car was/is?

Mine is a 1986 Buick Regal with a 307 and the rare double neutral transmission option.
What is a double neutral?

1976 VW Scirocco. Dark blue with rust EVERYWHERE! Smelled a little mildewey too. Gutless 4 cyl but man was it fun.

I loved my scirocco. Very fun car that delivered many pizzas back in the day. lol
The double neutral option is when reverse goes out and acts as a second neutral. It is a very common thing in the g-bodys (regal, cutlass, monte carlo) because of the use plastic parts. In the 80s the only good(ish) GM transmissions were the 200r4's in the buick grand nationals.

I like sciroccos as well, having never owned one but I did contemplate buying one on several occasions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Must have been hiking through Montana when this thread first came out.

My first car was a '63 Chevy Bellaire with 3 on the tree that my dad bought for me for about $65 in 1975. The clutch was thrashed and you had to double clutch to shift even at speed. Sold it for $50 about two months after I got it.

The first car that I bought for myself was a '71 Dodge Monaco Police Intercept with a 383 and a "3/4 Race Cam", whatever that is, for $850 in 1977. It was a true tank, 0 - 100 in 1 dog-year, I cut the perfectly good mufflers off and bolted on some glasspacks. It survived for another 4 months before I threw a rod doing things that teenagers did in rural Montana at that time.

First Mustang is the verbose 'vert described in these forums. :p

Must have been hiking through Montana when this thread first came out.

My first car was a '63 Chevy Bellaire with 3 on the tree that my dad bought for me for about $65 in 1975. The clutch was thrashed and you had to double clutch to shift even at speed. Sold it for $50 about two months after I got it.

The first car that I bought for myself was a '71 Dodge Monaco Police Intercept with a 383 and a "3/4 Race Cam", whatever that is, for $850 in 1977. It was a true tank, 0 - 100 in 1 dog-year, I cut the perfectly good mufflers off and bolted on some glasspacks. It survived for another 4 months before I threw a rod doing things that teenagers did in rural Montana at that time.

First Mustang is the verbose 'vert described in these forums. :p
Very cool Doc, I love the Dodge Monacos ever since seeing the Blues Brothers. I don't think I posted it but I got my Regal for free and fixed it up in shop class so I know what it's like to drive a not so perfect car.

I've said it before but everybody here has an interesting, and therefore cool, first car.

The double neutral option is when reverse goes out and acts as a second neutral. It is a very common thing in the g-bodys (regal, cutlass, monte carlo) because of the use plastic parts. In the 80s the only good(ish) GM transmissions were the 200r4's in the buick grand nationals.

I like sciroccos as well, having never owned one but I did contemplate buying one on several occasions.
My Sun Bug must have had that same transmission...always had to find a drivethru parking spot or at least one where I could push it out if I had to.

The Sun Bug (this may or may not be my old car but the rusted fender looks just like my old car. lol):

5Gc5F35M53G63m33J1c78b5a36417e46d1769.jpg

images

The scirocco:

31112_1286722973765_7188707_n.jpg

My Sun Bug must have had that same transmission...always had to find a drivethru parking spot or at least one where I could push it out if I had to.

The Sun Bug (this may or may not be my old car but the rusted fender looks just like my old car. lol):

5Gc5F35M53G63m33J1c78b5a36417e46d1769.jpg

images

The scirocco:

31112_1286722973765_7188707_n.jpg
I wouldn't be surprised if the transmissions were similar. You had a MKI Scirocco very cool.

in 1981, at 18 years old...an E-2 in the USAF, I purchased my first car for $2100... 1974 Gran Torino Sport, 351 C-2v (later a 4v w/10.7:1 heads), C-6... electric sunroof as well!scan0004.jpgscan0042.jpg

Wish I hadn't of sold it in '87 when I got stationed in (West) Germany...T2

OOps! forgot about the first mustang part of the question

1972 Sprint...bought in 1985..gave it to my father in 1987 when I went to Germany...of course I was too young to realize it would be better as a sprint, and changed the color (still had the Sprint interior) as soon as I bought it...Dad sold it in '95 to someone in Seattle...it had a 302-2v (later 4v) FMX, ....Wish I had it now! T2

scan0108.jpg

my first car was a blue 1977 grand prix

my first mustang was a 1994 mustang convertible green with a beige top

1973 Mach 1 Bright Red Black Mach 1 Interior 351C 2v H code C6 3.25 rear. Restored it my sophomore year of high school. Totaled 2nd week of freshman year at college.

rvykc9.jpg

I bought a 61 caddy convertible with the big fins in thespring of 1970. my folks never did find about that car. The car was towed during a snowstorm and it cost more to claim the car than it was worth. that spring I picked up a 69 z28. that lasted 3 months before a garbage truck wanted to be in my spot more than I did.

1st mustang 75 ghia with 302. great memories

First car was a 1979 VB Holden commodore SL/E, auto with a 253V8

first Mustang was a 66 coupe, which I still have and is in more peices than I can count.

My first car was a 1964 Corvair Monza 2 door in 1975. My first Mustang was a 1973 Mach 1, dark green metallic, 351C-2V, 2.75 rear, A/C. A very nice car- photos in my Garage section of the forum. I bought the Mustang in 1977 for $2200 - it had 30,000 miles on it at the time.

My first car was a 68 caddy sedan deville, it was a super sized land yacht. Great car for a teenager, I could fit like 10 people in that car.

My first mustang was a black 84 or 85 fox body... Pretty sure it had a 4V... it looked cool but it was a real dog.

Back