Flex fan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can i ask what is wrong with the regular fans??

In stock cars they should work just fine, isnt it?? A flex fan, if i understand its funcion correctly is a regular fan at low RPM and the blades tend to straight as the RPM goes higher so...

Does this new engines like you guys are using on your cars needs more cooling than the old stock ones?

The stock non-clutch fan on my Mustang is always creating some drag on the engine, even at times when you don't need the fan to be moving air across the radiator. A non-clutch mechanical fan is built to cool the engine at idle, which means that when I'm driving down the road at 50 mph in 4th gear, the fan is spinning at least twice as fast as it needs to; and I don't really need it to spin at all since I have a nice 50 mph breeze across my radiator.

So, a regular, non-clutch metal fan on a Mustang is fine for a street car, but it eats somewhere between 5-10 hp all the time, even when you don't need it to be running. Which means there's also a marginal mileage improvement by not constantly running that stock mechanical fan.

Can i ask what is wrong with the regular fans??

In stock cars they should work just fine, isnt it?? A flex fan, if i understand its funcion correctly is a regular fan at low RPM and the blades tend to straight as the RPM goes higher so...

Does this new engines like you guys are using on your cars needs more cooling than the old stock ones?

The stock non-clutch fan on my Mustang is always creating some drag on the engine, even at times when you don't need the fan to be moving air across the radiator. A non-clutch mechanical fan is built to cool the engine at idle, which means that when I'm driving down the road at 50 mph in 4th gear, the fan is spinning at least twice as fast as it needs to; and I don't really need it to spin at all since I have a nice 50 mph breeze across my radiator.

So, a regular, non-clutch metal fan on a Mustang is fine for a street car, but it eats somewhere between 5-10 hp all the time, even when you don't need it to be running. Which means there's also a marginal mileage improvement by not constantly running that stock mechanical fan.
Fantastic explanation! I LOVE to learn!! mi I6 has a 4 blade stock fan that is supposed to be factory original and it cools ok.. of course, with this engine, street driving is all you can accomplish :) Thanks again!!

Back