FMX making clicking noise from stop

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible daily driver, 250K miles
When I accelerate from a stop, I hear a noise coming from under the car that sounds like keys rattling, or loose marbles banging together or something metallic. Also when I make a left turn, the transmission slips in the middle of the turn, then re-engages. It has been 'rebuilt' a couple times over the last 30 years. The transmission guy I used to use is long gone. Any thoughts on this appreciated. It has 254,000 miles on it.

My FMX used to slip when it was cold out. I changed the fluid, added a bottle of TransX, and adjusted the band and the problem was gone. Also, a couple of weeks ago I heard a clicking noise on acceleration. The front u joint was bad, the needle bearings were missing.

Initially, I was going to suggest checking u-joints, but with the rest of your post, it certainly seems you have transmission problems. Slippage during a turn makes me think the fluid level is really low...start with that and check the u-joints.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back