FMX shift kit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mus72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 fastback
Hi guys I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with shift kits for an FMX and could you explain what exactly the manual one is I have no experience of shift kits at all but thought maybe I should put one in before reinstalling the trans .I have a Broader Performance 2800 stall converter for it.

Many thanks

Stephen

Hi matey. I cannot help you with a full manual valve body kit.

Had my fmx out to replace the leaking front pump seal. My intention was to put in a transgo shift kit. When I pulled the valve body to bits, I realised that it had already been done. (It's just a matter of drilling a little hole and changing some springs to stiffer/weaker ones).

Don't be put off by it ...I found it to be nowhere near as complex or mysterious as I was led to believe. Sorry I can't be of any more help except to say that if you login to the forum on the transgo website, you can download everything you wanted to know about installing their kits, complete with good photos.( free for the first day or something)

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with shift kits for an FMX and could you explain what exactly the manual one is I have no experience of shift kits at all but thought maybe I should put one in before reinstalling the trans .I have a Broader Performance 2800 stall converter for it.

Many thanks

Stephen

Hi thanks for the reply ,good to know you tackled it yourself I wouldn't even of thought about doing but will now. Lovely city you have, was there about 12 years ago heading through to Tassy like most people in Ireland about half my family live in Aussie .(my uncle lived right next door to Dick Johnson I still can't believe I didn't call in)

Did you notice much of an improvement in the shifts and would you do it again ?

Cheers mate

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my '72 fmx rebuilt, with shift kit and 2400 stall from Monster transmission. wow! what a blast off!! I know most people don't care for the fmx, I understand...parts not readily available, tranny guys don't like to repair them, they charge more...blah..blah....but, I tell you what, its a great tranny and so far its been rock solid for me.

Many thanks

Stephen
Shift kits can be had with modest increases in firmness to neck snapping firmness. A full manual valve body is mostly used for a true race car. A full manual valve body requires you to move the shifter position each time you want to change gears up or down. Chuck

well now I'll have to chime in....

I run the original FMX with the modifications and a 2800 Stall Converter. Personally she runs like a top and for two years never gave me a bit of trouble. I drive it so much that the battery ran down on my convertible. She has a FIRM shift, didnt use a stiff spring though. Enough you get a little tweak on shifts and FUN!!

well now I'll have to chime in....

I run the original FMX with the modifications and a 2800 Stall Converter. Personally she runs like a top and for two years never gave me a bit of trouble. I drive it so much that the battery ran down on my convertible. She has a FIRM shift, didnt use a stiff spring though. Enough you get a little tweak on shifts and FUN!!
Those cam specs look prtty similar to what I hope to be running (comp cams 280 magnum)

How do you find them gears and what sort of rpms does she run at 60mph?

Thanks guys for taking time to reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back