Ford stroker engine question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
IWhich Ford stroker engine will have the most factory look in a 71-73 Mach?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of them, as the “stroker” part is all internal to the crankshaft and rods....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can stroke either the 302 or the 351 Cleveland and keep a completely stock appearance. Of course, you can get a lot more engine and power with the Cleveland.

Not very knowledgeable about stroker engines but have seen in magazines that the 347 stroker is commonly used in classic Mustangs.

And 351 Clevelands stroked to 408 cubic inches in our years of cars.
stroking refers to the bore and crank travel. its all internal. that said, what you choose to do to the top end can either make it look stock or not.

here's a picture of the 545 stroker in my 1978 Ranger.  it started life as a completely stock 460 commonly used by Lincoln in the 70's also found in some trucks.  when I finished it, it definitely does not look stock, but I wanted the performance.

"Stroker" is the buzz word of the times, kinda like "3/4 race cam" was back in the 70's. It was very popular with the 5.0 Fox body guys, giving them more cubes with a stock appearance and not having to replace all the the fuel injection parts. It's a great way to get a more powerful engine in the same package you currently have. The 347 is very popular with the 65-66 cars, since it's a direct swap and doesn't require big money headers or cutting the car up. You can stroke pretty much any engine, as there are packages for every engine family ever made.

Latest posts

Back