• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Front Bumperettes for metal bumper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71 'stang

Reaction score
My Car
A 1971 Mustang Coupe was my first car,
Now rebuilding a '72 Qcode Mach 1.
351/4speed
Im looking to pickup a pair of bumperettes for the front of my '71. I had them on my car when I got it, and being a know-it-all hot rodder kid, I ended up taking them off to be replaced with a chin spoiler and more than likely throwing them in the trash... So after I grew up a little bit and started going over the old photos of my car, I've now decided I'd like to find another pair to replace what was once on my car. Please let me know if you have a pair you'd like to part with. Thanks

original front 3-4.jpg

They're called "lower protection guard" ford part number D1ZZ - 17B795A and I've only ever seen a very few. Check with Motor City Mustang - he's got a few 71's laying around they might have the bumper that you're looking for...

1971-1972-1973-ford-mustang-12.jpeg

Thats some good info off the top of your head! I'll be sure to look into it. Thanks!

There were two types of bumper guards in 71. Most had the bumper guards that extend upward above the front bumper, but some models had the low protection bumper guards that bolt to the bumper and the valence (which is what you have). Pretty rare for 71, and were similar in looks to the 67-68. Unfortunately, I only have one pair left and they are the above the bumper style.

bump.. still looking for these! let me know, thanks guys!

My Marti report states that my car came with "Bumper Guards". It did not have the protection group option.

I do not believe this means both the front and rear received the guards, considering the fact that I have seen the guards sticking above and below on both the front and rear bumpers on our cars adds to the confusion.

Does anyone know what was correct on a '71 convertible when the option as noted above was selected?

Were the front guards only installed as part of the protection group?

I have an old picture of my car that was in the glove box when I received the car, appears to be from the early 1980's; does not show the rear bumper so I cannot be sure, but the front bumper does not have either the upper or lower guards.

Any concrete information on this subject much appreciated, so I know what to acquire during my restoration.

Thanks

Last edited:
The marti report for my 1971 vert just says it was ordered with bumper guards, nothing about a protection group. It has them front and back and i will be removing them as i am not going for an original restoration

My Marti report states that my car came with "Bumper Guards". It did not have the protection group option.

I do not believe this means both the front and rear received the guards, considering the fact that I have seen the guards sticking above and below on both the front and rear bumpers on our cars adds to the confusion.

Does anyone know what was correct on a '71 convertible when the option as noted above was selected?

Were the front guards only installed as part of the protection group?

I have an old picture of my car that was in the glove box when I received the car, appears to be from the early 1980's; does not show the rear bumper so I cannot be sure, but the front bumper does not have either the upper or lower guards.

Any concrete information on this subject much appreciated, so I know what to acquire during my restoration.

Thanks
The "protection group" option included the below bumper guards and body moldings I believe,it will state on the marti report of a car was ordered with protection group.Prett rare option I believe.again,these were not the guards that came up above the bumper,they were mounted beneath it.

I've had this NOS piece sitting on my basement storage shelf for over 20 years. The few times I looked at it, I wasn't sure if it was mustang or some other model. The chrome has some minor super fine scuffs from being moved around, other than that it's nice. Is this a lower bumper guard? I cannot see a part number stamped on the underside. $20 & shipping.

DSCN2173.JPG

DSCN2170.JPG

Latest posts

Back