Fuel line question for 72 Q-code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eventhorizon

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code with factory ram air
Ok, got the new fuel tank and sending unit in, what is the best way to clear rust out of the line without anyone around to help?  And, why are my fuel lines 3/8 and the little hose in the new fuel filter box 1/4 internal ID? Is it because NPD is sending me filters in boxes for 1967 390 and my car uses the same filter but 390 has different size lines?

Thanks 

Thomas

Get Weed Wacker trimmer line ($2 at a garage sale) If you disconnect the two metal lines (under the master cylinder) you can feed from the back and when it comes out PULL it out. That way anything in the line will come out with the line.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
We've been over this before, REPLACE THE LINES WITH STAINLESS STEEL!! You'll never get the rust out completely and for sure you'll have rust residue coming through for ever.

Here is a picture of what yours WILL look like inside. This portion actually is a good part. Rust was almost through in some areas.

Geoff.

Yes, at this point, replace the lines. 45 year old fuel lines, especially if the car has been sitting and the tank was full of rust, are now full of rust.

If you just can't replace them, use compressed air to blow them out. Blow both ways, from the front and from the rear, no help needed. I would also install a supplemental filter at the rubber hose from the fuel line on the frame to the pump. Just get a universal plastic cheapie from the local parts store. Get one that's transparent, so you can see what you're capturing.

Agreed! Plus, locate a Pure-Gas station . The ethanol is just killer to the mustang parts.

mustang7173
Agreed and that's why I switched to SS lines, a Tern-Coat treated fuel tank ( a lead-tin coating) high quality fuel injector rubber hose were needed, a METAL inline filter after the apron, new ethanol resistant fuel pump and a new Holley carb that is good for up to 15% ethanol. I'm goo to go wherever I need fuel, but I always try to use non ethanol Shell 91.

Back