Fuel Pump Fitting

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
HI ALL!

What fuel pump fitting (mechanical aftermarket) do I need to install a reproduction stainless steel line (bent like the original) from the pump outlet to the carburetor? The male fitting of the SS line fits right into the outlet port of the pump (flared end on the fitting) but when tightened I can still move the line back and forth about 3/8". I don't want to cut the flared end off and stick a short piece of a rubber hose on it. I've looked all over the place and no one seems to be able to help me! I even drove all the way to Lincoln to Speedway Speed Shop and they had nothing that would fit! Any suggestions PLEASE?

is the pump new?? if not and your old metal one fit fine then u need to look better at the new SS tubing.. something is wrong. if new pump maybe the threads are not deep enough..

That is a common problem with the aftermarket lines... The first one I bought was about the same, I had to use a short piece of rubber... The second one is ok and currently on, no leaks on the first start. The first one was a stainless steel, the second one the normal version, but from the same source, summit. The first one was on the original pump, the second one on a new one, both carter-like ones. I have no idea if this depends on each other...

I may be able to help as I too had this issue. I made up my own pump to carb 3/8" line, but the outlet on the new pump is for a 5/16" as the original. I think I have a picture of what I came up with. I bought a 90 deg. fitting for the pump with a barbed tube. I joined the 3/8 to the barbed fitting with a short length of ethanol resistant rubber tube, not only for an easy connection, but more importantly for vibration dampening. So far no issues at all, but to be honest, I could have done it better with a bit more forethought. Sorry for the fuzzy pictures!!

I will look in the garage. I think there is a fitting that you screw into the fuel pump that makes it fit the fuel line. It should be a flare fitting from fuel pump to Carb. and I am pretty sure there was an adapter that made it right without using the rubber hose.
I have an adapter on mine. I am running 3/8 braided line from pump to carb. Not sure what the hell the fitting is though.  Can just see it in my motor pic.

https://ibb.co/jMDDKF

free picture hosting site

Last edited by a moderator:
I will look in the garage. I think there is a fitting that you screw into the fuel pump that makes it fit the fuel line. It should be a flare fitting from fuel pump to Carb. and I am pretty sure there was an adapter that made it right without using the rubber hose.
 I wasn't too thrilled about using a piece of rubber either, but I too was unable to find an adaptor to go from the pump, which is sized for a 5/16th line to a 3/8th line. If someone knows of such a beast, I'd be interested. However, my carb tuning guy thinks that to have even a short length of rubber hose in the line will stop harmonic vibrations that could break a connection and cause a leak or fire.

I will say that if using a piece of rubber line, using the CORRECT clamps is vital. Those crappy gear clamps are just that, crappy.

I built my own feed line with Earl's 3/8 Auto-Fit hose. I had to used a 5/16 inverted flare to 6-AN hose adapter, and then a 120 degrees 6-AN adapter to the Auto-Fit hose fitting. I need to find the exact part numbers so I can post.

I think this was the 120deg adapter:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X492006ERL.TRS0&_nkw=492006ERL&_sacat=0

but I don't remember paying that much.

EDIT: please read my post later today. I wrote this from memory and I identified the wrong products. I used Russell's hardware instead of Earl's. Ignore the link above.

delawarebill...yes the pump is new, as a matter of fact I have 2 of them. One looks like a carter pump (chrome) and the other is a chrome fuel pump that is a little smaller in diameter, thanks for your comment!

Hi stanglover, you see that's what I'm trying to avoid using a little piece of rubber hose! There's gotta be the right fitting. Thanks for the pics though!

Hi David, if you have that fitting I would like to trade you for the convertible top side tension cables! If not maybe you can tell me what size that is and where you got it from.

Thanks tonymuscle, kind of pricey ain't it?
Ok, i wrote my first reply from work and i just proved that i have very bad memory.I used Russell harware instead of Earl's. I used an adapter from the pump 5/16 flared outlet to AN6 hose. Then I used Russell's 610221 120deg adapter to Russell's #6 black cloth ProClassic hose. It helps keep the fuel colder if you are not concerned with the original look.

20170907_213812.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If you use the adapter from the 5/16 flare at the pump to AN6, I am sure you can find another angle adapter from AN6 to 3/8" flare. There are many options if you go through AN adapters. You just end up using two adapters instead of one.

EDIT: the 5/16 adapter was actually an Earl's, #961946ERL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hi David, if you have that fitting I would like to trade you for the convertible top side tension cables! If not maybe you can tell me what size that is and where you got it from.
Just saw this missed it before will go look and see but pretty sure there was a brass fitting in the pump to fit the metal line. More in a couple hours.

I just replaced fuel pump a couple weeks ago. The one I took off had two fittings screwed into the pump. Pictures attached. The new one had the correct flared fitting in the pump, pic of it on car and the box it came it. I think only like $16.00 for new pump. The first one I got was bad, diaphragm had leak. I took vacuum brake bleeder with me and checked the next new one at the parts house before leaving.

I would think these would be standard fittings maybe even get at like Lowe's if not at the parts house.

And yes the PS is leaking. This car sat for 25 years so lots to look at.

Back