fuel send unit replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chargis1973

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1
351 clevland
just bought and replaced my sending unit but it fits real loose. any tips on how I can make it fit tighter I think if I put gas in it it would pour out

just bought and replaced my sending unit but it fits real loose. any tips on how I can make it fit tighter I think if I put gas in it it would pour out
Did you use the orig gasket that comes with the unit?

The gasket should be in the box w/ the unit and looks like a big o-ring

Last edited by a moderator:
i put the o ring on it i realized it is missing the outer locking ring, but dont worry just ordered one from oms!! Should be here in a few days!!

i bought a car in pieces and have been slowly putting it back together. i found his old sending unit but no luck on the locking ring

i bought a car in pieces and have been slowly putting it back together. i found his old sending unit but no luck on the locking ring
I did not realize this was a used unit , before instaling it bench test it to confirm it works (it will save you grief later to check it now)

If it works is the strainer / filter at the tip in good shape , if not replace it so tank sediment does not get into your carb and clog things up

the sending unit is new to i replaced it also the old one was rusted to pieces

the sending unit is new to i replaced it also the old one was rusted to pieces
OK that's good so you just need the twist ring to tighten it , which you have already ordered, you should be ready to go once it arrives

I think its been mentioned previously but if you use a little bit of vaseline (petroleum jelly) on the O ring, it will hold it in position during the installation.

Back