Gas tank replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

427heaven

Reaction score
My Car
1971 m code 4 speed Mach 1
Has anyone changed out a gas tank, please share the details, thanks!:huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out this thread. It has some good tips:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-new-gas-tank?highlight=gas+tank

I replaced my tank back in 2005 and I did NOT prime and paint. It still looks new today and if your going to show the car in Mustang Club of America based shows the tank should be natural finish.
What has me bothered is that the top of my tank looks like its all one piece of the trunk, was there some kind of special sealer that was used or did someone possibly add a sealer to it! Thanks. :huh:

speaking of changing gas tanks! when i got my bodywork done, and picked up the car in feb 2011, it just had a new gas tank installed on it. well i just recently pulled that gas tank in exchange for a glen's performance gas tank that has a external sump for a electric pump and to be able to run 2 galloons of gas at the track.

to remove the tank its pretty simple. here is what i did:

-remove filler neck

-drain all the gas thru drain or sending unit

-support tank with jack

-unbolt the straps using a 9/16 deep well

-wiggle it out around your exhaust tips

i had decent rusty straps and i decided to buy new ones that was 40 dollars.

IF YOU NEED A NEW GAS TANK, I HAVE THIS TANK THAT WAS ONLY INSTALLED IN THE CAR FOR ONE YEAR. PM me if you are interested, $75 plus shipping should be fair.

I used the tank kit from CJ Pony Parts, It started rusting fast and the gas gauge does not read correct.
I bought mine from CJ Pony Parts too. The tank looks fine with no rust even after being on the car for 7 years, but I do not drive the car in bad weather. I drive it several times a week in good weather.

I did the same job a few months ago, I boughgt mine from CJ Pony Parts excellent price and super fast shipping,

First drain tank , remove sender plug and fuel hose

loosen the two straps and drop the tank then remove vent hose

remove tank and take vent housing off top as you will need to re use it on the new tank

Clean and prime/paint the new tank to prevent rust

reconnect vent on top

slip tank under the car and reconnect the vent hose

lift and brace the tank in the air w/ some wood or whatever is handy

Align the tank where it should be and connect the 2 straps

reconnect the sender unit

attach hose and sender connector plug

Done

AJ

I had to laugh my car is in a dark corner of my shop so I go over and look with a flashlight and the trunk is all smooth like someone bondo-d it I keep thinking how the hell does it come out, A reminder all my early cars the gas tank loads from the trunk side! Your info worked wonders the tank is out now, some serious cleaning will begin.;)
I did the same job a few months ago, I boughgt mine from CJ Pony Parts excellent price and super fast shipping,

First drain tank , remove sender plug and fuel hose

loosen the two straps and drop the tank then remove vent hose

remove tank and take vent housing off top as you will need to re use it on the new tank

Clean and prime/paint the new tank to prevent rust

reconnect vent on top

slip tank under the car and reconnect the vent hose

lift and brace the tank in the air w/ some wood or whatever is handy

Align the tank where it should be and connect the 2 straps

reconnect the sender unit

attach hose and sender connector plug

Done

AJ

Happy to help and glad you have it out, you're right that on the earlier cars the tank lifts out the top, this is much easier to get out.

Back