good replacement master cylinder

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1badmach1

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1 yellow and black
Hey everyone I think I need to replace my master cylinder,I checked the master cylinder today n it was really low on fluid. The pedal was going down to the floor, I had to pump it to get it to stop. I bleed the brakes before n it seemed to work alot better. My friend thinks the master cylinder is going since my brakes haven't been that great. Do you guys recommend a good master cylinder? I was looking into wilwood I saw they offer 7/8 or 1 inch which one do I get ? I have disc brakes in the front and drum rear.

Most of your local part stores can order one for you. I bought mine from summit. They will want your core.

Oh and it comes from Cardone

Last edited by a moderator:
Master cylinder size depends on age of car it changes around mid 72 . I wouldn't spend the money on a wilwood I would rather spend it getting my own cylinder sleeved in stainless then it will never need rebuilt again this is great for cars that aren't daily drivers. I think there are companies in the US like white post restorations who will do this for you they also do calipers and wheel cylinders. ps check its definetly the mc and not a wheel cylinder.

oops just looked up white post they don't seem to get a good review but I'm sure there are others who could do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take care about the size of the primary and secondary connection you need, I made a mistake about that, and now I have a master cylinder I can keep in my garage for decoration :(

I ordered the DORMAN M36445 and unfortunatly I can't use it.

Is the M/C visibly leaking?

If not you may want to track down where you are losing fluid from before arbitrarily replacing it.

The drum brake wheel cylinders might be a good place to start.

So you have a leak in the master cylinder. You can or change it completly or if the body is in good condition buy a master cylinder repair kit.

Take care about the size of the primary and secondary connection you need, I made a mistake about that, and now I have a master cylinder I can keep in my garage for decoration :(

I ordered the DORMAN M36445 and unfortunatly I can't use it.
Excellent advice given there!

I have ordered two of them now from local parts stores and BOTH were incorrect. Very frustrating. Mine has a larger connection on the bowl nearest the front of the car, and a smaller connection on the bowl nearest the firewall. Both master cylinders I have gotten from local parts stores had the same size connections.

Not to totally hi-jack, but I am sure open to suggestions on who can actually get me the right one. I need one for a 73, 351C 2v, power brakes with front disks and rear drums. If anyone has one, please PM me.

To the OP, be careful of this and make sure you check before you give up your core. Thankfully, I still have my core and I'm not giving it up until I get the right one.

I believe the ones with the same size connections are for drum brakes.
You may be right. However, the problem runs deeper. Parts stores that ask the drum vs disk and power vs manual brake questions indicate that they recognize there is a difference. You feel confident at their counter as they narrow down the choices to find what sounds like the right master cylinder. They even order what appears to be the right master cylinder (based on the questions they have asked and selections made in their database/software.). Then when the master cylinder arrives, it has the wrong size fittings.

That has been my experience on my 73. Very frustrating. This should be simple. 73 with 351 Cleveland, power brakes, disk front, drum rear --- very simple. 3 times in a row though, the master cylinder that comes in is wrong.

Here is my theory. Although the parts stores' software recognizes the difference, the companies that are taking in the cores and re-manufacturing them do not distinguish. Therefore, the part they send is incorrect.

Back