GREEN 72 FASTBACK (FORMER 429/460)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does the vintage suspension perform with tires with so little sidewall. My car has 17's with 40 sidewalls and it is a bit rough on dodgy roads. Tires seem to be an important part of classic car suspension feel.

I love that car! What brand are those wheels? They fit that car perfect! :)
Thanks ! They are Ruff Racing 280's 18 x 9.5 rear 18x8.5 front..They don't make them anymore so any you find would be new old stock..
They are cool, I really like the black centers. I have seem some American cars here in Denmark with Ruff Racing wheels, it's a good looking wheel for sure.

How does the vintage suspension perform with tires with so little sidewall. My car has 17's with 40 sidewalls and it is a bit rough on dodgy roads. Tires seem to be an important part of classic car suspension feel.
Mine is a little darty on the 18 wheeler ruts. I think it's more the worn out steering box than the tires. It's MUCH better with a bunch of caster in the alignment. :D

I hope were going to get a Video of you driving it like you did with the Camaro . I really enjoyed that, Make sure someone gets a shot of that BIG GRIN on your face as you carve out some curves !!

There is no "vintage suspension" The only thing left vintage is the steering box..front & rear suspension all non stock all modern..You are correct that tire side wall plays a big part in feel..You need a matched balanced suspension package which includes the proper tire combo. I won't use this tire combo on a car with "vintage" stock suspension.

Heres whats installed

http://www.streetortrack.com/files/images/st/Coilover_Front_Suspension.pdf

I hope were going to get a Video of you driving it like you did with the Camaro . I really enjoyed that, Make sure someone gets a shot of that BIG GRIN on your face as you carve out some curves !!
FOR SURE !!

Ok..got the new wheels & tires on..285/35/18 rears on 9.5" wide.. 245/40/18 fronts on 8.5" wide.. Nitto 555's directional all around...Front sway bar is in..All new brakes...Just need to do the rear sway bar then it's off for alignment (Non stock alignment specs)
Awesome work, Scott. It looks beautiful. What alignment specs are you going for? I've heard a whole range of non-stock specs for modern tires.
Thanks S..

Alignment as follows Camber 0-1/2*

Caster 3-3.5

Toe 1/32-1/16

Last edited by a moderator:
Hit a local show last week, As we were coming in they had a professional photographer taking a picture of your car which you could buy later on. Here's the shot he took of the Green 72..I spent 2 days on her detailing waxing prior to the show..So I've been driving the car as much as possible & it's driving performing extremely well. Handles amazing.. I'm confident now I could drive this car anywhere..

So next is the interior, new glass & sound system. The interior is ok not terrible but not where I'd like it to be. That work is going to require about 3k in parts materials with me doing the work..going to hold off till spring. I'm having to much fun right now driving her & winter is just around the corner..Want to get as much driving as I can before the snow flies or they start sanding the roads at which point it's time for a winter hibernation.

STANG.jpg

Q, that's a beautiful car. The stance and tire & wheel combo that you have is what I'm shooting for for my Mach. I've also checked out most of your videos on your other cars, your very talented, lots of good info. With all the mods you do, have you ever done any bumper narrowing tucking and smoothing? I would like to do something like that on mine but I don't really know where to begin. Have you ever thought about modifying a front chrome bumper to make it look like a urethane bumper? If you have any pointers on any of this I would really appreciate it. Ryan.

Q, that's a beautiful car. The stance and tire & wheel combo that you have is what I'm shooting for for my Mach. I've also checked out most of your videos on your other cars, your very talented, lots of good info. With all the mods you do, have you ever done any bumper narrowing tucking and smoothing? I would like to do something like that on mine but I don't really know where to begin. Have you ever thought about modifying a front chrome bumper to make it look like a urethane bumper? If you have any pointers on any of this I would really appreciate it. Ryan.
Thanks Ryan,

I'm actually planning on doing the bumper tuck narrow mod on the other car..there's lots of good info out there on the net..Biggest thing is whether your going to rechrome or paint the modded bumper..Paint allows for finishing with body filler products while chrome your metal work has to be flawless finished to perfection. http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/96338-Shaving-bumpers

Thanks for the info. I will probably be painting my bumpers. When I no bought the car someone had replaced the urethane with a chrome one, that's why I would like to try and make the chrome one look like a urethane. The urethane bumpers are really expensive and hard to come by. I'll keep watching your vids to see if you do this mod before I try it. Thanks for the info.

New seats arrived yesterday so a quick test fit Have almost all the pieces of the puzzle for the new interior going in as soon as the weather warms up

IMG_1174.JPGIMG_1179.JPGIMG_1182.JPGIMG_1184.JPG

What are you planning for the rear seat, dye to match or custom reupholstery?

So we all know that the Monte carlo bar thats sold for our cars that supposed to fit never does.

I've been meaning to get one installed for quite some time but knew I'd have to do some fab work modification to fit it.

Just about done removed the center section fabbed up some extension pieces and some upper plates. should be finished this week

IMG_1561.JPGIMG_1562.JPG

Back