GT40 intake on a '73, hood clearance??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'73 Vert
4R70W
351C 2V 441 hp @ 6000 RPM
SEFI EEC-V (2004)
Weiand 7615 intake
Edlbrk 61629 heads
Icon flattops 10.66:1
Comp Hyd cam Hyd rollers
I have been looking for information on hood clearance. Does anyone have a link for 1973 Mustang stock hood clearance? I want to know if I will have to modify my hood to fit a GT40 intake manifold on my cleveland. I wasn't thinking about it before I pulled the motor and took it to the mechanic so I have no way of measuring right now.

I have been looking for information on hood clearance. Does anyone have a link for 1973 Mustang stock hood clearance? I want to know if I will have to modify my hood to fit a GT40 intake manifold on my cleveland. I wasn't thinking about it before I pulled the motor and took it to the mechanic so I have no way of measuring right now.
Loose softball size of tinfoil on the top of carb with heat spacer on and stud out to avoid giving yourself a dimple. 👌🏻

Loose softball size of tinfoil on the top of carb with heat spacer on and stud out to avoid giving yourself a dimple. 👌🏻
I just reread you have the engine out so I’m no help yet…

I just reread you have the engine out so I’m no help yet…
Hey I love the idea. If iI still had the engine here that would be the way to go! Guess I will have to bug the mechanic for a measurement.

Exactly what intake are you trying to use? GT40 intake to me means like the fuel injection intake for the 5.0 Mustangs that came out in the 80's-90's. Also, are you using a flat hood or a Mach 1 Naca hood?

I’ll be headed to my place in AZ this week. I could set my GT40 intake on top of my recently installed 302 and takes some pics, etc. My hood is hard to install by myself, so I’ll make some measuring tape calculations.

I suspect if it was a common problem, as many folks who have done this swap on 71-73’s, someone would have complained by now. Before I started my swap, I measured from the motor mount bolt to the top of the intake and believed from that, that I had about 1.5” of clearance; stock non NASA hood. I’ll know in a month or so for sure.

Also, BTW, why did you post this in the Concourse Forum?

The aluminum foil idea is a great one that I will use in the future.

When you ask about 'stock hood' are you working with a scooped or non-scooped hood?
Right now I have the stock non-scooped hood.

Exactly what intake are you trying to use? GT40 intake to me means like the fuel injection intake for the 5.0 Mustangs that came out in the 80's-90's. Also, are you using a flat hood or a Mach 1 Naca hood?
Yes that is exactly what I am looking at. Converting 351C to fuel injection using GT40 intake. I have a stock hood (not scooped).

I’ll be headed to my place in AZ this week. I could set my GT40 intake on top of my recently installed 302 and takes some pics, etc. My hood is hard to install by myself, so I’ll make some measuring tape calculations.

I suspect if it was a common problem, as many folks who have done this swap on 71-73’s, someone would have complained by now. Before I started my swap, I measured from the motor mount bolt to the top of the intake and believed from that, that I had about 1.5” of clearance; stock non NASA hood. I’ll know in a month or so for sure.

Also, BTW, why did you post this in the Concourse Forum?
Hey thanks! That gives me a rough idea. Is this the wrong place for such a question?

How would you put a GT40 intake on a 351 Cleveland engine?
Adapter plates to fit a 351W intake or 302 intake onto a Cleveland with Cleveland heads. There are plates for either intake. If you have Cleveland 4V heads you use the 351W intake, if you have aftermarket 2V heads you use the 302 intake. I was super-stoked to find out that you could get an adapter plate because I just dropped my engine off with the mechanic and started looking online for parts when he told me that Covid had interrupted the supply chain. I was contemplating ordering CHI heads from Australia but they are custom making their heads for each customer now due to limitations in materials and the cost is extreme, $6750 plus shipping and tariffs brought the estimate to almost $9K for a 208 intake and complete set of 208 heads.

Back