h-pipe vs. x-pipe for 73 vert h-code with headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)
I'm about to have my exhaust installed and I was going to go with an h-code setup as I thought I read in one of the posts that that was a better option for our cars. The exhaust shop is pushing an x-pipe. I heard I loose low end with x-pipe. Can anyone give me some input on this? Also, anyone with a convertible "with headers" have any issues with a h or x pipe install. Fishing through the tunnel plate.

Thanks

Jim

What you've heard is generally correct. However, exhaust systems are very sensitive to bends, connections, angles at the x-pipe merge, upstream components, the length of the crossover on h-pipes, and mufflers and the rest of the downstream system. So, what works great on one car may not be that great on another. A lower powered car may do a lot better with an h-pipe because it keeps the torque down where it's better utilized.

They will also change the way your car sounds. An exhaust without a crossover will sound sharper, with more rap. The h will mellow it out some, and the x will be even more mellow, due to the merging of the exhaust pulses.

You might want to look at this test:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/4376-h-x-pipe-test/

Hi Jim,

I can give you feedback on what i did with my '73 Vert, but first, what motor are you running?

Greg.:)
greg

h-code 351
OK,

That's going to be a different story to my setup, as i'm running a 302 Win. I had trouble with fit issues with my header install clearing the tranny bell housing. I ended up with Hooker Headers,and solved the problem.

Sorry, but no pics for you, but it's a 2 1/2 inch steel system, with stainless steel mufflers and tailpipe tips. I got a good X pipe crossover done before the cross plate, and 2 Magnaflow mufflers as well.

Everything works, fits and sounds great. I'm very happy. I got a very good local muffler shop to do the work. I get a very deep mellow and fairly loud sound when idling and power on the pedal, but nice and quieter when not accelerating. No back crakling either when de accelerating. The sound is smooth and even as well. I do miss the tumbling machine gun sound that you get with some V8's when accelerating though. I think the X pipes take away that tumbling sound to some extent, as well as running a Windsor donk. Hope that helps some.

I know mine isn't a convertible, but it has an x-pipe with Magnaflows and you have heard it. If you can't recall, call me tomorrow and I will start it up. I will be out working on it most of the morning, prepping for epoxy primer tomorrow!

Had a similar dilemma when I wanted to change my system, X-pipe or H-pipe. I stuck with the H-pipe and a 2 1/4in pipes and am so glad I went with this set up, instead of 2 1/2in with X-pipe as the sound of my car now is terrific. My convertible is a 4V running Hooker comp headers, 2 1/4in pipes all the way and using the Summit chamber mufflers. I went with these mufflers after hearing them on a friend of mines car as they sounded great, plus the price is really good too. The guy I had do my system does many performance cars and he was impressed with what I wanted with my system (as I supplied most of the parts) and agreed where I wanted the H-pipe placed and said when I went to pick it up how nice he thought it sounded. We get so many comments on how the car sounds now, so must've done something right. It doesn't matter on which way you go, either X-pipe or H-pipe, a competent exhaust guy would have no problems with fitting either of them. As I said mine's a convertible fitted with a H-pipe and decided to go that way as that's how they came from the factory and wanted to keep that old school sound.

Had a similar dilemma when I wanted to change my system, X-pipe or H-pipe. I stuck with the H-pipe and a 2 1/4in pipes and am so glad I went with this set up, instead of 2 1/2in with X-pipe as the sound of my car now is terrific. My convertible is a 4V running Hooker comp headers, 2 1/4in pipes all the way and using the Summit chamber mufflers. I went with these mufflers after hearing them on a friend of mines car as they sounded great, plus the price is really good too. The guy I had do my system does many performance cars and he was impressed with what I wanted with my system (as I supplied most of the parts) and agreed where I wanted the H-pipe placed and said when I went to pick it up how nice he thought it sounded. We get so many comments on how the car sounds now, so must've done something right. It doesn't matter on which way you go, either X-pipe or H-pipe, a competent exhaust guy would have no problems with fitting either of them. As I said mine's a convertible fitted with a H-pipe and decided to go that way as that's how they came from the factory and wanted to keep that old school sound.
Hey Jason,

I gotta check your sound out down the road. Has it changed since we last rode together?

Most of the non-advertising related information I've seen shows small differences in HP and Torque well within repeatability error for dynamometers (3-5 hp or tq). It comes down to personal sound preference. I have a x pipe on my 2007 Mustang and a H pipe on everything else. Chuck

Hey Jason,

I gotta check your sound out down the road. Has it changed since we last rode together?

Hi Greg,

Yeah changed the whole system just before Easter and the sound it emits now is heaps better than when you would've heard it, even though it sounded alright before, I just wanted that sound a 4V should be making. Also found that the right hand side manifold had cracks in it, more than likely caused from the factory heat shields, not that it mattered as I'd already decided to go with a set of headers. Driving on the highway now sounds just awesome and sounds even better the more you give it. I was unsure about the Summit chamber mufflers until I heard them on a mates car, as he swore by how good his car sounded, once I heard it, I was convinced. He said a guy he knows in the U.S. just put a set on a car he was selling and was so surprised by the sound of them, that the guy now uses them all the time. Like I said to you in a PM, we'll have to catch up in the near future, then you can hear them for yourself.

Hey Jason,

Hi Greg,

Yeah changed the whole system just before Easter and the sound it emits now is heaps better than when you would've heard it, even though it sounded alright before, I just wanted that sound a 4V should be making. Also found that the right hand side manifold had cracks in it, more than likely caused from the factory heat shields, not that it mattered as I'd already decided to go with a set of headers. Driving on the highway now sounds just awesome and sounds even better the more you give it. I was unsure about the Summit chamber mufflers until I heard them on a mates car, as he swore by how good his car sounded, once I heard it, I was convinced. He said a guy he knows in the U.S. just put a set on a car he was selling and was so surprised by the sound of them, that the guy now uses them all the time. Like I said to you in a PM, we'll have to catch up in the near future, then you can hear them for yourself.
Thanks Jason,

sounds good. I'll look forward to hearing your system and getting the lowdown. Both my stangs sound good, but i can't seem to achieve the holy grail of the killer system.:chin:

More to this than meets the eye methinks.

Back