Hand brake e-brake conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oh dam

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Coupe
1994 GT Coupe
Ok I am looking into getting this kit for my rear brakes

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdRear.aspx?itemno=140-11389

and since its a parking brake kit I want to get it connected, BUT i hate the foot pedal e-brake. It reminds me of my dads truck. I want more of a "car e-brake" so that means having the e-brake next to the center console and controlled by..YOUR HAND..isnt that amazing!!! well anyway how can i go about doing this fellas? any of you experienced with this conversion??

I did it to mine. Leave out the full length console and it isn't too bad. Unfortunately, the throw of the brake handle doesn't give enough travel to really cinch down hard on my Baer Ironsports. What I need to build is an asymetrical pivot to increase the efficiency. Also anytime you hand a cable guide on the underside of the floor, you'll really want to remove the carpet and back it up with a nice firm backing plate and a bit of sealant around the holes you drill to rivet or bolt it together.

Also the location has you setting it up just above the front u joint, so it is a bit tight.

Well i dont have a center console. I just didnt know what the area is called lol. Is there any kit you buy? or do you use one from a certain year mustang?

@gpierce that is an awkward position for a handbrake but i guess it works! haha..hmmm i see this is going to be alot more work than i thought.is it worth it?

Well i dont have a center console. I just didnt know what the area is called lol. Is there any kit you buy? or do you use one from a certain year mustang?

@gpierce that is an awkward position for a handbrake but i guess it works! haha..hmmm i see this is going to be alot more work than i thought.is it worth it?
I would try one from a 79 or 80, I believe they would be the most likely to fit, and mount on top of the hump. I know they started using them in 1974, but the cables might be too short.

Back