Haters gunna hate

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Blue Glo Mach 1
Was talking to a bloke out the front of work today about cars and crap when a grabber lime 71 rolls by. So I says told old mate "how cool does that look" I know this dude has a nice dark blue 69 428 Mach. He says "yep they look good then i remember to hate 71 - 73s" Start talking the usually crap not real mustangs no real performance,heavy, large,bullshit bullshit you know the usual crap. So I asked him to check the weight on his own smaller car for perspective and as for no hot models what about 429s Boss 351s or HOs and reminded him that not every mustang prior to 71 was a bruiser. He agrees and says he still has to dislike them because they just ain't as cool as earlier cars.i ask him if you had to choose between the cool 6 cyl 66 or a very undesirable 71 429 what would you take home. It was all pretty light hearted,bit of a fun back and forth stuff but in the end he admitted he would take home the uncool 71 especially if it was grabber lime :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the hate for our cars from a lot of my "Ford" friends but I'm used to their comments due to my Chevys.
That's it you do seem to get the most hate from the Ford mob. There are a lot of very cool cars out there so why limit yourself to 1 brand.

Whenever someone talks down my Mustang, or just Mustsngs in general, I use a line inspired by Eddie Murphy from "48 Hours":

Note: you must know what kind of car the insulter is driving for the gag to work. The worse shape it is in the better. Lets asdume its a beat-up minivan.

"Yeah, you know..your right. I didn't really want to buy the Mustang, but the dealer I was at just sold his last piece-of-shit blue Dodge Caravan, so I had to take this."

Looks lame on paper, works great in person to shut someone up.

Whenever someone talks down my Mustang, or just Mustsngs in general, I use a line inspired by Eddie Murphy from "48 Hours":

Note: you must know what kind of car the insulter is driving for the gag to work. The worse shape it is in the better. Lets asdume its a beat-up minivan.

"Yeah, you know..your right. I didn't really want to buy the Mustang, but the dealer I was at just sold his last piece-of-shit blue Dodge Caravan, so I had to take this."

Looks lame on paper, works great in person to shut someone up.
Good line! Only problem is I can honestly say no one has ever talked down my car...knock on wood! It's funny how many people say wow, I never really liked Mustangs...until I saw yours. Or wow, I didn't realize how nice these Mustangs are. Everywhere I stop I get a crowd wanting to chat it up.

At least now I'm prepared. :)

I have gen x sons, 24, 21 and 18 and a 14 year old girl . They love the 71-73 body style. I have often wondered when these "kids" of the next generation get real disposable income and "if" they come flocking to this body style because they love it because its not the same run of the mill reworked falcon. It is quite possible we will see financial appreciation in our cars that is so dramatic the haters will be dumb founded. Dramatic increase because of demand.....from a whole new generation of car lovers, and supply....... because the old school experts had no problem scrapping the big bodies cause they didn't "like "them. Time will tell,,, Time will tell. I personally Love all the mustangs even the mustang II.

Time seems to heal ugly-car wounds. Many cars I thought were butt-ugly when new have become some of my favorites: Mark Vs, 79-up Trans Ams, Gremlins to name a few. Hated them at first, grew to appreciate them.

However, the Pointiac Asstek just keeps getting uglier.

I will be honest, since I have been driving around my Bright Lime Mach 1 I can't go anywhere without people asking me about the car. Taking pictures and just showing a general appreciation of automotive history. I never wanted a 71-73 but I am glad I got it. The other day my wife told me the garbage men stopped the truck in the street and got out to look at every detail. She was worried and thought she would have to go get the shotgun but then she realized boys will be boys and she just watched thru the window to make sure they did not touch my baby.

I had a guy at work make fun of my car out of anger, here is how it went. We were all sitting around a table talking the morning bullshit to each other. This guy spends all of his time at work on car forums, he drives a 1996 BMW M3, pretty nice car, but nothing special. Someone makes a comment to see if he is paying attention to us making fun of him, So I say "there can never be too many spoilers in the world of rice", he has a huge spoiler mounted on top of his rear spoiler and claims it was a Germany only option. To this he replies "yeah that coming from a guy restoring the ugliest Mustang ever". So I laughed and told him that we can line em up anytime and see who is faster and more manlier, he shut up pretty quick, like I said all in fun, but funny as hell to me!

71 through 73 Converts where listed as one of the top 10 future collector cars by Hemmings a few years back.

A kid in our local high school has been driving an OK looking 71 Fastback and is quite befuddled with all the girls that are paying attention to him because of it.

There are several very nice mid to late 70's 2 door hard tops of various makes and models driven by local teens in our small town. Locally the prices on these type cars seem to be on the rise.

Wonder what I will wish I had bought a warehouse full of ten years from now?

- Paul

Oh you get lots of complements for sure and the younger people love them, I have posted about this before. But when you get shit put on your car its nearly always by the 68-69 mustang guys or the mustang expert types next in line are the other Ford guys. I don't care what they are dribbling I like everyone esle here already know we have the coolest looking ponies in the paddock and they are only going to become more popular. 99% of the time when dealing with the tools that hate our cars i find F@ck Off Dickhead is the correct response.

Oh you get lots of complements for sure and the younger people love them, I have posted about this before. But when you get shit put on your car its nearly always by the 68-69 mustang guys or the mustang expert types next in line are the other Ford guys. I don't care what they are dribbling I like everyone esle here already know we have the coolest looking ponies in the paddock and they are only going to become more popular. 99% of the time when dealing with the tools that hate our cars i find F@ck Off Dickhead is the correct response.
That's why a lot of us spend our online time here, rather than VMF. ;) :D

I've been lucky that pretty much everybody I've run across have been pretty supportive, but I guess the big tell will be when I finally join up with the local Mustang club. I already know a few of the guys, and they're really cool... but the big unknown will be the earlier model owners I see at the car shows - they always seem to like my Jeep and I haven't really made a big deal out of my '71 since it's been so long coming. I guess we'll see what happens when I take it to its first cruise night. :D

I've been lucky that pretty much everybody I've run across have been pretty supportive, but I guess the big tell will be when I finally join up with the local Mustang club. I already know a few of the guys, and they're really cool... but the big unknown will be the earlier model owners I see at the car shows - they always seem to like my Jeep and I haven't really made a big deal out of my '71 since it's been so long coming. I guess we'll see what happens when I take it to its first cruise night. :D
Only 1 man has to like it Eric :D

Only 1 man has to like it Eric :D
You are correct, Sir. And trust me - I could care less if the others don't like it... but that will go a long way toward the decision to actually join the club [or not] - if they're all a bunch of Clydesdale Haters, forget it. I've already been down the road of being part of a club with snobby members... not gonna do it again.

Like I said though, nothing but support from the guys I do know so far. So, I think it'll be OK.

Back