Head job

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 mach 1 4bb swapped Q code
89 cummins swapped 4x4 f350
96 f350 dually stock
I plan on pulling my heads and getting them re-worked because from sitting 6 years 2 of the valves have um .. sunk down might be the right term. The valve stems aren't tight in the rocker arms, is this normal or very very bad?

does it run ? maybe 2 lifters have collapsed and are clicking?

do a compression check

best advice is, get an opinion from a decent mechanic....let him hear it run.

On a Cleveland, the factory intake valve was originally produced as a two piece part that was then welded together. They fail and destroy engines. Some people disagree and say it only happens if you drive it like a race car, but my opinion is that a head rebuild with 1 piece stainless valves is a high priority for any Cleveland engine still containing factory valves

Take the heads to Wingers Machine on South Chadbourne next to the Stripes store. Have them install hardened seats and 1-piece stainless valves. They have a CNC set-up, so there will be no guesswork or eyeballin' involved.

I like Danny at EPM (nice guy), but you will not see those heads back for at least 2 months, and even then, that's after bugging him every couple of days. Trust me on this.

On a Cleveland, the factory intake valve was originally produced as a two piece part that was then welded together. They fail and destroy engines. Some people disagree and say it only happens if you drive it like a race car, but my opinion is that a head rebuild with 1 piece stainless valves is a high priority for any Cleveland engine still containing factory valves
+1million On what jeff said!!!! You definately dont want to drop a valve!! ask me how i know!!

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-bad-day-catastrophic-engine-failure-updated-pics-of-the-carnage?page=3

I plan on pulling my heads and getting them re-worked because from sitting 6 years 2 of the valves have um .. sunk down might be the right term. The valve stems aren't tight in the rocker arms, is this normal or very very bad?
How loose are the rocker arms? Can you measure the gap with a feeler gauge or is it extreme.

Collapsed lifters will show probably .030 gap or so if its extreme it could be a stuck valve in the guide or a flattened cam lobe.

It hasn't run in 6 years and it feels to me like alot of play. I work on it at the shop almost daily either cleaning it or relacing whatever part of the day I picked up and after reading turtles problem last week really got me thinking about it.

and mark thanks for the lead on the headlight bowls at clarks I got them for $10 for the pair

Normally, people call me 'Chris' when they forget my name - I don't think I've ever been a 'Mark' before though. It's all good though - and interestingly enough, the '71 Mach 1 I fell in love with when I was 14 was owned by a 'Mark.'

Glad you got such a great deal on the buckets! I think I'll be snagging a couple of things from there soon (front seats, maybe).

LOL... I'm a Mark and usually get Mike (not so bad, it's my middle name), but lately I've been getting Eric quite a bit... ;)

It hasn't run in 6 years and it feels to me like alot of play. I work on it at the shop almost daily either cleaning it or relacing whatever part of the day I picked up and after reading turtles problem last week really got me thinking about it.
You know, there's always the thought that the play you're encountering is because the lifters have collapsed over that 6 years of automotive slumber. :D

I think your best bet is to remove any questionable valves and inspect them very closely. New valves are not that much considering the damage they can do when they fail.

Back