Header options for 351w stroker in 71-73' mach

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stangman73

Reaction score
I currently have a 302 with c6 transmission in my 73 mach 1 which I am looking into getting a 351w/408 stroker crate motor for. On the motor it has dart pro 1 heads which have a slightly raised exhaust port on them .135" or 1/8" and angled plug connections. I have been having a hard time trying to find some long tube headers (preferably 1 3/4" primaries) that will fit this application as 351w didn't originally come in these years. Fpa's website show's that they offer them but that is not the case according to stan as the 71-73's have a larger steering box. Is anybody running a 351w/stroker in one of these year's with dart heads? And if so what are you doing for headers? Any info is much appreciated. Thanks 

Not sure if its an option for you or not but, we went with a mid length header on my wife's 70 with a 351W. They were Doug Thorley ceramic coated ones. I did have to massage one of the tube slightly at the aftermarket steering box. We were worried about ground clearance. They were a little pricey but were a very nice set of headers.

I have a 351w in my '73.  The headers are "summit" brand, ordered from summit racing.  I guess they count as long tube.  They had a 3-bolt collector flange that extended down around the transmission.

I have a 351w in my '73.  The headers are "summit" brand, ordered from summit racing.  I guess they count as long tube.  They had a 3-bolt collector flange that extended down around the transmission.
What transmission are you running in your 73?

Wondering if you ever found a set that works well? I have a 351W with a 5 speed (Tremic TKX).... also trying to find something that's fits well.
Thanks!

Wondering if you ever found a set that works well? I have a 351W with a 5 speed (Tremic TKX).... also trying to find something that's fits well.
Thanks!
I have JBA's for that app (though older Tremic 5 speed) that I hope to have installed when I get back home in September.

Back