Help, Anyone recognize these front brake calipers!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang 302 V8
So here we go again, 

I took the front wheel off today to inspect the brake pads, caliper and was looking to replace the lower arm knuckle joint rubber.

This is what I found!  :mad:

IMG_20200419_140029 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

IMG_20200419_140048 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

IMG_20200419_140108 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

IMG_20200419_140114 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

IMG_20200419_140351 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

IMG_20200419_140401 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

As you can see in the pics, this is a large single piston floating caliper, But I dont think these are OEM Mustang?

Anyone got any Idea what they are from?

Have to ay I can't even begin to tell you how upset I was upon finding yet another piece of shit on this car.

I had to put the wheel back on lower the car, put the cover over it and walk away.

I'm just about done with it!

Bad day today  :bomb:

Going from memory only, they do look like factory single piston calipers. Fortunately they are easily replaced, just more freakin money!!

Referring to a past reply, did you find a DSO number on the door data sticker if it still has one that is. Let us know if you can.

Going from memory only, they do look like factory single piston calipers. Fortunately they are easily replaced, just more freakin money!!

Referring to a past reply, did you find a DSO number on the door data sticker if it still has one that is. Let us know if you can.
IMG_20190926_122816 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

62 = Houston Texas. I'm surprised it's that rusted unless it lived in a field.... or elsewhere for many years.

Other stuff. 1f02F= fastback 302 cid, 63D =  2 dr. fastback , Colour M =White, Trim 1E = medium vermilion, Axle = 3.00:1 open diff.,

Trans W = C4 Automatic, DSO = Houston.

So if you didn't get a Marti Report, then this is what it came from Dearborn Mi with in October 1970.

Last edited by a moderator:
92GTS-R,

Looks like the Granada set-up to me.

That would mean that your spindle is not original either.

The Granada set-up is a pretty easy swap for replacing front drum brakes with disc.

Does your brake combination valve look not OEM as well ?

Seems to me that the Granada spindle required a different outer tie rod end, as it was smaller than that of our mustangs.

Boilermaster

I went through this with mine.  Car came with drums but someone converted the front to disc. Try the following.  74 Mustang II.  Duralast  C194 & C195  from Autozone. They might fit. What ever you have they are most likely going to be from the 70's. There were several with similar design and in different in sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:

62 = Houston Texas. I'm surprised it's that rusted unless it lived in a field.... or elsewhere for many years.

Other stuff. 1f02F= fastback 302 cid, 63D =  2 dr. fastback , Colour M =White, Trim 1E = medium vermilion, Axle = 3.00:1 open diff.,

So if you didn't get a Marti Report, then this is what it came from Dearborn Mi with in October 1970.

Well the car now has a 9" inch rear end, 3 Speed FMX and an engine from an 81 car (I think).

And a 289 edelbrock intake manifold and edelbrock 4 Barrel.

Master cylinder has been replaced with a non factory one, I also have an adjustable brake bias valve by the master cylinder and also another above the rear axle!

IMG-20190829-WA0044 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

Anyone reconize the rear calipers

IMG_20191001_124116 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

I know the car was in Colorado Springs for a while, but most of the bill and records I have show it as being in Arizona, but I do not have the full history,

I do have a ton of invoices with some eye watering numbers! Last recorded USA owner was in the Army and lived in AZ.

Other stuff. 1f02F= fastback 302 cid, 63D =  2 dr. fastback , Colour M =White, Trim 1E = medium vermilion, Axle 6 = 3.00:1 open diff.,

Well the car now has a 9" inch rear end, 3 Speed FMX and an engine from an 81 car (I think).

And a 289 edelbrock intake manifold and edelbrock 4 Barrel.

Master cylinder has been replaced with a non factory one, I also have an adjustable brake bias valve by the master cylinder and also another above the rear axle!

IMG-20190829-WA0044 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

Anyone reconize the rear calipers

IMG_20191001_124116 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr
Hmmm, no idea from me, but you do have 5 leaf springs! stock would be 4 leaf. That hose bracket should be attached to something

On the positive side, the body doesn't look too bad.

Here are some pics of a 73 factory set up.

Had to replace them for safety reasons they were so rusty from sitting.

That is the lower ball joint that MOOG forgot to tap the hole in for the grease fitting. Hard and I could not get a tap to cut it. So if you are replacing ball joints look at them before you install and check for threads for the grease fitting.

If the brake pad backing plate is not rigid enough to support the load from the piston your concern would be valid. A single large piston will supply more pressure than two small pistons. The biggest drawback about the single piston design is the caliper has to be floating to compensate for pad wear.

Back