Help identifying wires please

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach1
I am helping a nice lady fix her 73 mach 1 and could use some help identifying some bare wires I found in the harness while installing an electronic distributor.  They are in the same loom as the coil + ,choke wire and temp guage. They are black with yellow, brown, red . I found a diagram but I'm not very good at reading them. I figured I'd ask someone with more knowledge than me. Thanks in advance for any help. I'm trying to add image but I'm not sure working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to tell from the picture if the yellow colors are dots or hashes, and if the base color is brown or black. Does the car have air conditioning? Black with yellow hash could be for the air conditioner compressor clutch, red with yellow hash is part of the EGR, brown with yellow dot is also emissions related.

Yes it's an air car but it's all missing. Thanks for the info! I was hoping one was for the tach.
Tach is wired in series with the coil, so no separate lead like a GM. It's called a "current driven" type, which reads the electrical pulses as the coil charges and discharges, converting that to a reading on the tach. 

Depending upon what electronic ignition you are setting up, you might need a tach adapter.

The HEI distributor has a tach output that will not work with the factory tach as it. You basically have two options. A tach adapter (hit and miss if they work and depends on what HEI distributor you went with) or have rocketman (a member on here) do a tach conversion on the tach itself.

Back