Her 72 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The excitement is brewing, ideas are flowing, imaginary money is being spent, friends are spending our money with ideas, etc.. 

I am looking forward to the day my wife turns the key for the first time and the Mach 1 roars to life!

Bodyshop guy tried some reality tv humor with us today.  He sent a text asking if we could stop by the shop tomorrow afternoon. Nothing bad he said. Just need to go over a few things. 

I broke out into a cold sweat. I thought "now what? Nothing bad, as in, it can be fixed but it is gonna cost $$$."

So my lady politely answered "yes, how does 4p.m. sound?" She also added "sooo, don't leave us in suspense. What is it?"

At that point Brad (bodyshop owner) texted this picture. Mind you, I'm driving our 01 Suburban with two kids in the back with crummy traffic all around us and I hear "OHHHHHH!!!" I about crapped and sideswiped a car next to us. Fortunately for me a red light halted our forward momentum and I was able to eyeball my wife's phone screen. Suffice it to say, I'm not a wear my emotions on my sleeve kind of guy, I got misty eyed and a bit choked up. My old self of four years ago was not capable of managing and paying for such a project for my wife.

I can hardly wait to get to wrenching. That I CAN DO!

Thanks all!

I wish he would've pulled off his reality tv show "punk" job better. As I would've like to have seen it in person for the first time. My wife's reaction would have been priceless. I'm a lucky guy. She deserves it. All is good though. We shall see it today.

Stay tuned. More pics this evening.

That it is. Now my highest hopes for all hopes when we see the Mach 1 today.........please, oh please, no orange peel!
Very Nice!!!!  

Don't worry about a little orange peel if he hasn't wet sanded and buffed yet. Every car out there has some.  Once he wets sands and buffs it, it will look like glass.  That color is really nice! 

Very Nice!!!!  

Don't worry about a little orange peel if he hasn't wet sanded and buffed yet. Every car out there has some.  Once he wets sands and buffs it, it will look like glass.  That color is really nice! 
See, even after all this I STILL don't know paint. Thanks!

I'm feeling really good about my wife's choice to return the Mach 1 to its original color.  I liken it to a life sized Hot Wheel. I'm old enough to remember the "different" colors they were...

We saw the Mach 1 with fresh paint. Some misgivings. Some frustrations. I probably need to sleep on it.

Mainly lots of orange peel and a feeling that painter was reluctant to deal with it. Offering 80 (@$65/hour) hours of labor to polish/buff out orange peel.

The level of orange peel that I saw was explained as that was the difference in $350/gal of clear versus $600/gal. I chose the $350 or mid grade as how it was explained, months ago.

I really don't know paint and was hoping that a friend could have shown up with us, but he was working late. Maybe I was expecting too much. I said more than I wanted to as I said I wanted to sleep on it. 

It does look good in pics though. 

IMG_1785.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

Back