Hi. I am Brad Moffitt. I am 75 years old and have owned 71-73 Mustangs since 1972. HAVE TACHOMETER QUESTION.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach I 351 C
I am restoring a 72 Mach I H code to Q code specs. I also have a 72 Sprint 302, 73 convertible 302 and 71 Mach I M code in various states of restoration. For spare parts, I have 5 doner bodies (3 coups and 2 fastbacks to work with. The pandemic cost me a couple of years work, so I am trying to catch up now on the primary restoration. I currently have a 76 L82 Corvette on my rack that I am preparing to complete, then sell for funds to complete the Mustang projects.

I have a question about the 71 Mustang Factory TACH. My current project has the clock where the Tach is normally located. I have a spare factory gage cluster with TACH included. I am currently running a HEI distributor in my 351-C, bored 20" over, with a regular coil, 4300-D carb, stock exhaust. Will just swapping out the gage set give me what I need for a functional factory Tach? How do I run the wiring from the engine bay?

Future plans for this project include FMX to T-5 conversion and Crown Vic rear disk brake conversion. I already have all parts for the Crown Vic conversion and have 90% of the T-5 conversion parts.

Thanks for any assistance received.

Best solution is to have Rocketman do a tach conversion for you, then you install his tach and hook it up like any aftermarket tachometer on the Coil (-) lead. The HEI needs a full 12V all the time, so you should bypass the resistor wire in the dash harness.

https://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-tach-all

1718041977423.png

Thanks for the information.

I'll leave this item to one of the last punch list items after T-5 Conversion and rear disk brake conversion.

The Tach-Odometer cluster has been in the family since 1972. It came from a wrecking yard. The odometer has 31,000 miles on it.

Back