High pressure power steering hose.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
2000 F250-SD
2001 H-D FLTR
2004 GMC Denali
1971 Mach 1 351 2v, a/c auto

I'm going to install a new power steering pump and decided to replace the hoses at the same time. I purchased a new (not remanufactured) Cardone Select pump, and Gates high pressure, and return pressure hoses

The problem I have run into is the fitting on the Gates high pressure hose is not compatible with the power steering pump. At first I thought, Chinese pump, American hose, must be a defect in the pump.

In attempting to attach the Gates high pressure hose to the pump, I would only get about one revolution on the threads and it would stop. I tried applying more pressure using a wrench, and this quickly stripped out a bit of material from within the Gates fitting. Before using the wrench I made several attempts on threading the hose onto the pump to be sure I was aligned on the threads.

I then removed the old hose from the car. It threaded onto the new pump without any problems

I could be over looking something, but what appears to me to be happening is this.

1. The threaded portion of the Gates fitting is to shallow. The internal portion of the fitting where the orifice is located is hitting the threaded fitting on the back of the pump and not allowing enough thread contact.

2. I noticed that on the original hose, the end was flared and made a nice fit onto the fitting on the pump. The end on the Gates hose is flat(maybe this is referred to as a reverse flare) and doesn't seem like it would make a good seal.

I'm not bashing Gates products at all. Just sharing what I have observed. I'll consider myself a novice at mechanics, and may have overlooked something.

I would appreciate any information on where I could purchase a high pressure power steering hose that is going to correctly mate with the power steering pump. I'd prefer to find one similar to the original that has an independent collar that threads onto the pump, rather than having to rotate the entire hose when tightening.

I've attached a couple of photos in an effort to better explain what I am seeing.

klinton994,

Looks like you are missing the extension tube. Check out the illustration provided.

351svau.jpg

D1ZA-3E576-AC

2q056hv.jpg

Source: Ford Motor Company, Copyright, May 1975

mustang7173

klinton994,

Check out this power steering hose from NPD

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_pressure_hose_power_steering_replacement-149116-2820.html

mutang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on mustang7173"s post. I was not reproduced a few years ago when I was looking for one. It may be now. Contact Don at OMS to see if he can help.

Chuck

Thanks to all for the info. My car did not have the tube or bracket. The existing high pressure hose ran directly to the pump. I'll begin my parts search. Thanks again.

A couple of questions regarding the extension tube.

1. Are both ends of the tube flared?

2. Does the tube end that attaches to the high pressure hose have a fitting with external threads that would slip over the flared end and thread into the female fitting of the high pressure hose?

Yup, gotta have the little extension tube and bracket, I just assembled all my PS stuff and had to transfer those pieces to new pump!

Mustang7173

Where could I aquire a parts book/manual that has explode views of part assemblies.

klinton994,

Looks like you are missing the extension tube. Check out the illustration provided.

351svau.jpg

D1ZA-3E576-AC

2q056hv.jpg

mustang7173

klinton994,

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_pressure_hose_power_steering_replacement-149116-2820.html

mutang7173

contact Don at OMS

http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-ohio-mustang-supply

if you are missing the extension tube then there is a good chance you are missing the bracket that supports the tube and some other hardware. the bracket keeps the tube from moving left and right away from the exhaust manifolds.

it is attached to the pump housing, there is suppose to be a 2 nuts on the back side of the pump where the tube goes.

the first nut holds the back side of the pump together and seals the Fluid tank, then the bracket goes on and the second nut holds the bracket, then the extension tube goes on and the top part is held in the bracket.

on the high pressure line there is also suppose to be a coupler. from the hose extension to the soft line.

the hose extension has a different thread on it and the coupler allows the hose to attach.

i would need to take a photo of my car to explain it better.

but if the hose extension isn't there and the soft line ran into the back of the pump then you are missing more pieces then just the hose extension.

there is also a hose clip down by the steering box that holds the high and low pressure lines parallel to each other, you need that clip because without it, it makes installing the hoses a major job when you tighten them down to seat them in the steering box.

i discovered all this the hard way on my car as well.

I'm going to send you an email. thanks

contact Don at OMS

if you are missing the extension tube then there is a good chance you are missing the bracket that supports the tube and some other hardware. the bracket keeps the tube from moving left and right away from the exhaust manifolds.

it is attached to the pump housing, there is suppose to be a 2 nuts on the back side of the pump where the tube goes.

the first nut holds the back side of the pump together and seals the Fluid tank, then the bracket goes on and the second nut holds the bracket, then the extension tube goes on and the top part is held in the bracket.

on the high pressure line there is also suppose to be a coupler. from the hose extension to the soft line.

the hose extension has a different thread on it and the coupler allows the hose to attach.

but if the hose extension isn't there and the soft line ran into the back of the pump then you are missing more pieces then just the hose extension.

there is also a hose clip down by the steering box that holds the high and low pressure lines parallel to each other, you need that clip because without it, it makes installing the hoses a major job when you tighten them down to seat them in the steering box.

I have ordered the indexing bracket to mount the extension tube, if I can locate one. Photo of bracket is attached.

It appears to me, looking at the exploded parts view featured earlier in this, that the indexing bracket sandwiches between the nut and pump bracket. i.e. power steering pump, first nut, power steering bracket, indexing bracket, second nut.

I'd appreciate help with understanding the flare and inverted flare terms. When these terms are used, are the referring to the actual power steering line where it contacts with another surface, or is the term referring to the threaded connector?

contact Don at OMS

I just bought one from Oreillis, hope it works, have not tried yet but the end don't look like what you guys are showing, it lookis just like the OPs!!!::((

klinton994,

351svau.jpg

D1ZA-3E576-AC

2q056hv.jpg

mustang7173

klinton994,

mutang7173
To get around this they sell a female female coupler. I wanted mine to look original so I got the original setup but my car came with a coupler from PO.

klinton994,

351svau.jpg

D1ZA-3E576-AC

2q056hv.jpg

mustang7173

klinton994,

mutang7173
To get around this they sell a female female coupler. I wanted mine to look original so I got the original setup but my car came with a coupler from PO.
Actually I just looked at my old hose and it is different then my new one. I misspoke about needing a coupler. That was on a pump that was given to my and not sure how it would work. I think for the hose you have you might need the extention. The funny thing It I just tried to put the house on the back of a pump and it doesn't want to thread on. This is a different pump that came off the car. That one went in as a core.

Sorry for the confusion.

I installed mine today, took the adapter out of the old hose and it went in easy, BE CAREFUL!! DON'T DO WHAT I DID!! when i pulled on the old hose i accidentally broke the oil pressure sending hose and did not noticed it, when i started the car there was a stream of oil coming out of the connection and hitting the fender whale, lucky that i caught it within seconds and nothing major happened

klinton994,

351svau.jpg

D1ZA-3E576-AC

2q056hv.jpg

mustang7173

klinton994,

mutang7173
Actually I just looked at my old hose and it is different then my new one. I misspoke about needing a coupler. That was on a pump that was given to my and not sure how it would work. I think for the hose you have you might need the extention. The funny thing It I just tried to put the house on the back of a pump and it doesn't want to thread on. This is a different pump that came off the car. That one went in as a core.

Sorry for the confusion.
Jim isn't your car a 73 ?

I am having the same issue. My hose that does not have the extension came off a car with a 6cyl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes this exact issue. I pulled my 250 I 6 and replaced it with a 351 cleveland. (Go big or go home). i found the power steering pump was the same but I had to change the pulley. The hose from the 6 cyl worked but has developed a leak. So.... I purchased a new hose and it does not mate up. I suspect that the v8 has the extension that the 6 cyl does not. The hose that is shown that you can order that does not need the extension is for the 250 cyl.

So does anyone have an extra extension tube? A new bracket would be good too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back