Hoisting car and floor repair

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I typically hoist my car with a scissors hoist. Now that I am working on replacing the floors due to rust I am wondering if it is a good idea to keep hoisting while the floor is being removed. I am doing one floor side at the time so at least not both sides are weaken simultaneously.

The dilemma I have now is that if I should be hoisting the car after removing the driver's side floor. Is there a danger of permanently bending the car. I currently place the base of the hoist by the front torque box and sub-frame (see picture). The rear is by the sub-frame and leaf springs. The front sub-frame uses the floors for some kind of support so I wonder if this is a good idea. Thoughts?

I am attaching several pictures to help visualize.

20150208_095928_resized.jpg

20150208_100545_resized.jpg

20150208_100005_resized.jpg

I had the same concerns when working on my 66 with a 2 post asymmetric lift. The strong point of the floor is really the pinch weld at the rocker panels, so I sawed out a channel of a 2x4 such that it would fit into the pinch weld and used the hoist to raise the car via the 2x4's.

Pseatrailrinstalled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back