Holley rebuild?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
Are there any good sites\video's for rebuilding a Holley 650 dbl pump?  I know the basics of disassembly but curious about any "secret" tips, baseline idle adjustment, float adjustment, and other tricks.

i've never looked up a site for rebuilding. the kit should give u float info. as far as the mixture screws, start at 1 1/2 turns out. for choke start with 1/8" open. the cleaning u should be able to do with no problem... just take everything apart and clean well... oh and shack the floats to make sure no fuel inside.

if the carb has a sight glass for float adj that's better... did i mention i hate holley carbs.. they are a pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
One tool you will need to is the Holley clutch head driver to remove metering block plate. Harbor Freight has a $9.99 100 pcs. kit that has three of them.
A 650 double pumper won't have a secondary metering plate, it will have a metering block held on with the bowl screws. Nevertheless, it's a good tools set to have.

One tool you will need to is the Holley clutch head driver to remove metering block plate. Harbor Freight has a $9.99 100 pcs. kit that has three of them.
A 650 double pumper won't have a secondary metering plate, it will have a metering block held on with the bowl screws. Nevertheless, it's a good tools set to have.
HemiKiller,

You are correct. Thanks for the correction!

set the fuel mix screws 3/4 out to start.

set the gas level so it is just below the inspection holes while idling or immediately after turning the engine off. if it has sigt windows set it 1/4 -1/3rd up the window.

the secondary plates should not need any adjustment.

Back