Horde old parts, or toss?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kept all my original parts. If you have the space to store them it is not a bad idea.

Ron

I am selective on what I keep. I have kept some parts for years and eventually rid of them because they take too much space and they are only good to host spider webs! I have been able to sell some parts that still have value and I have given a lot for free (buyer's pay shipping or make a donation to this website). I still keep some original parts like steering wheel, charcoal canister, vacuum canister, etc that are original and not that big. I still have my old leaf springs but I think this summer they will go to the city metals dumpster. Definitely, when I have done some major changes like suspension, I keep the old parts for a while until I am sure the replacements work well. However, my car was not numbers matching and it was not meant to be.

If you have the 1/2" rear sway bar with the brackets that go on the leaf springs springs, and the chassis brackets, that is an easy $400-600 on eBay. I do not throw out anything that is original Ford stuff that can be rebuilt. I have the original power steering pump tucked away (bought a new one to get up and going), the leaf springs, upper and lower control arms, spring perches etc... If the part I remove is OEM Ford and it is something that can be rebuilt, it goes into storage. If what I remove is already a replacement part that has failed, it goes to the garbage. Only parts with OEM Ford numbers are worth anything, and the longer that time goes by, the more they are worth. If the part I remove is OEM Ford but cannot be rebuilt it also goes into the trash.
I bout a new old stock power steering pump on eBay for the ridiculous amount of xxx. It was rebuilt with new bearings and seals and it works great! Much better than the cordone many times rebuilt variety. The new one will never go away.

I'd think the rear sway bar and hardware have some value asa package deal. If the U bolts are originals with flat spots at the bends they are worth keeping. The sheet metal clamps around the leaf springs were not available when I built my car, they may be now. If you are certain you are happy with the new leaf springs I suppose you could pitch them. I do see a lot of "restored" Mustangs that have had the springs replaced that have a pronounced off-road/4 wheel drive look to them. Chuck

Back