How do I deal with this?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubaman

Reaction score
My Car
73 convertible
When changing the battery I found this on the battery tray. Looks like some acid and some surface rust. Tray seems very solid. I have baking soda, wire brushes, sand paper, rust neutralizer, black paint, etc. What do I use first? Flat black or gloss paint. Order engine compartment paint from NPD? What color?

Also, what lubricant fo you use for general wipe down of the engine compartment and suspension? Mine looks pretty good just want to wipe off some light surface frame rust.

Thanks
Stan

Attachments

• BF4DA902-33FB-4974-8658-83AB5C3A9DB5.jpeg
    BF4DA902-33FB-4974-8658-83AB5C3A9DB5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 13438781-107B-4EED-A424-985C5087B0D9.jpeg
    13438781-107B-4EED-A424-985C5087B0D9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Hi Stan

Personally I wouldn't bother.
You can buy a complete tray kit with hold downs and everything
for $36 at NPD. p/n #10732-1CPK
True it's a repro but it's under the battery anyway. No one will see it.
The repro tray is good quality and the same if not thicker gauge than the original.
When these cars were built they were meant to last 5 or 6 years so that you would constantly be buying new Fords.

Probably best thing to do is remove your old pan, clean it up and see
what you've got. It looks like it's after market anyway. I don't believe that
the original had the cut outs and was a solid pan.
I replaced the pan in my mustang almost 10 years ago and it still look's
great and was an easy replacement ie: the new pan fit exactly as well as the OEM part.

Best Regards
Ray Q.

Hi Stan

Personally I wouldn't bother.
You can buy a complete tray kit with hold downs and everything
for $36 at NPD. p/n #10732-1CPK
True it's a repro but it's under the battery anyway. No one will see it.
The repro tray is good quality and the same if not thicker gauge than the original.
When these cars were built they were meant to last 5 or 6 years so that you would constantly be buying new Fords.
I like that option.

@jasonwthompson That's the best advice I read here!
There is nothing cheap in fixing something. If so, I'm the cheapest guy around! :D

This thing is 10 minutes of work to remove the old paint, bath it overnight and spray it the next day (after a soapy cleaning to neutralise the vinegar).
And I bet that if the tray is rusty that there are a few parts here and there that could be handled together at the same time, just to say you have a "de-rust/paint weekend" and save on paint by regrouping tasks...

Back