Hydraulic clutch?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach I
I was told that there was a hydraulic clutch available for our 123's but when I contacted Bruce at Modern Driveline he said they only have them for up to 1970.

Does anyone have an hydraulic clutch or know a source for one?

I wanted the internal throwout from Mcleod.

Thanks,

Guy

This is on a ford toploader 4 speed. Bought it at Summit for 370. Haven't road tested it yet, but everything seems ok so far.

1jb2o5.jpg

2qd62qf.jpg

2mexwlj.jpg

x7nrc.jpg

Yes, that's the McLeod throwout. The question is the rest of the kit namely the master cyliner/pump or what you might call the half of the hydraulic system. Modern says that he doesn't have one for our cars. I'm considering getting a 70 and making it work.

What are you using 71fast?

I couldn't find anything off the shelf so sometimes you just gotta do it on your own.

This is my master cylinder setup on a 71 without power brakes. This is the recommended 3/4 inch Wilwood compact master cylinder part no. 260-1304. Cost was 54 dollars. Full stroke on the cylinder is 1.4 inches. Full stroke on the cylinder when pushing the pedal to the floor is 1.25 inches. This is important to not overstroke the cylinder. I extended the brake master cylinder out to use the existing brake lines.

From Mcleod paper that came with bearing:

Master cylinder "Push Rod" stroke should be 1" minimum.

A 6 to 1 pedal ratio is recommended with the 3/4" bore master cylinder.

My setup turns out to be 6.3 pedal ratio.

Like I said before, I haven't road tested yet, but everything seems to be ok so far. I installed the JBA 1650 shorty headers and as soon as my Pypes exhaust is installed, I will test drive.

29p9jky.jpg

I couldn't find anything off the shelf so sometimes you just gotta do it on your own.

This is my master cylinder setup on a 71 without power brakes. This is the recommended 3/4 inch Wilwood compact master cylinder part no. 260-1304. Cost was 54 dollars. Full stroke on the cylinder is 1.4 inches. Full stroke on the cylinder when pushing the pedal to the floor is 1.25 inches. This is important to not overstroke the cylinder. I extended the brake master cylinder out to use the existing brake lines.

From Mcleod paper that came with bearing:

Master cylinder "Push Rod" stroke should be 1" minimum.

A 6 to 1 pedal ratio is recommended with the 3/4" bore master cylinder.

My setup turns out to be 6.3 pedal ratio.

Like I said before, I haven't road tested yet, but everything seems to be ok so far. I installed the JBA 1650 shorty headers and as soon as my Pypes exhaust is installed, I will test drive.

29p9jky.jpg

Good luck with all of that. You're almost there.

I see that Wilwood makes a cylinder. My entire braking system is Wilwood so it would be consistent. I however will be using power brakes so I'll have to come up with something different.

Your setup looks very clean. Congratulations.

Latest posts

Back