Identifying 14x6" vs 14x7" trim rings, hub caps, and Sport Wheel Covers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I found this thread in a search...Is anyone reproducing these rings for either 14" or 15" and for either 7" or 8" wheel width?

...or is there an aftermarket that is close?

Thanks,

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I found this thread in a search...Is anyone reproducing these rings for either 14" or 15" and for either 7" or 8" wheel width?

Thanks,

Peter

No. There is no one reproducing the trim rings (or 14/15 inch sport wheel covers). Not that I am aware anyway. The 15 inch versions of both are tough to find in decent shape! I am ALWAYS looking for the 15 inch trim rings and caps.

Ray

No. There is no one reproducing the trim rings (or 14/15 inch sport wheel covers). Not that I am aware anyway. The 15 inch versions of both are tough to find in decent shape! I am ALWAYS looking for the 15 inch trim rings and caps.
+1 to Ray. None of the Ford rings are reproduced.

The 15" rings are exorbitantly expensive due to their use both in '70 and '71 on the high performance models.

14x7" compatible rings are next on the pecking order, and though they aren't uncommon, finding a perfect set is difficult and expensive.

14x6" rings are the most common, though they're also hard to find simply due to their lack of desirability.

Searching all trim rings on eBay is often a good way to dig up orphaned rings that someone has failed to positively identify. Either that, or pay the piper for a mint set.

-Kurt

Hey Kurt - just in case I never showed you how the sport covers you hooked me up with look on my '71 (before it was finished, obviously).

attachment.php

I SO would've bought my car new if I'd been around back then. ::thumb::

Hey Kurt - just in case I never showed you how the sport covers you hooked me up with look on my '71 (before it was finished, obviously).

attachment.php

I SO would've bought my car new if I'd been around back then. ::thumb::
I remember seeing that picture. Drool-worthy - that's my favorite wheel/tire combo that your car has ever worn. Those caps suit the paint scheme so well.

The tu-tone Sportsroof look (especially with the chrome bumper) in this pic is also great - the blank slabside gives the whole thing such a clean look, it almost makes the Mach 1 decals appear superfluous.

Honestly, some days I wish my car was stripeless. Others, not. Guess that's an excuse to buy a few more...

-Kurt

I'll be putting them back on again some day - I just had to get a pic of them on before swapping on the Cragars. They were also just as you'd sent them - in that good of shape unrestored (you really hooked me up with a nice set - thanks again!).

At some point when I get some time, I'll clean and restore them and get better pictures (with the more complete car). My goal is to have pics of the car as [close to how] it came from the factory (meaning, I'll need to finish restoring the urethane bumper and remove the louvers briefly as well). I just thought that would be such a cool thing to have. That's also part of the reason I haven't gone nuts with cosmetic restomod goodies - besides someday wanting "original" pictures, I'm a little paranoid about adding side stripes. I've seen so many of them done poorly that I'm a little paranoid of not getting them 'just right,' which would bug the crap out of me. Plus, mine being a no-stripe car kind of helps take the pressure off as well - I'll probably just leave it how it is: no stripes, no spoilers... just the louvers and Cragars are fine for me.

As a heads up in today's market, I was fortunate to score an NOS set of 14 X 7" Sport Caps (still in their original Ford boxes!). I paid $600 for the set.

I wasn't actively looking, but when MM ran the barn find story including my car in Sept/15, a gentleman in Tucson AZ contacted the dealer in Monroe WA indicating that he saw that my car had the original sport caps on it and if the car was going to be restored, he had an NOS set that he would like to see used on this rare BB vert...

The car had already been sold to me and the dealer sent me his info... Knowing that these were rare, especially in NOS shape, I had little choice put to "pony" up the cash... They will indeed look nice on my completed restoration.

A question for those in the know... My car came with F 70 X 14" tires. What size tire does that equate to in today's tire sizing rating system? What would be the largest tire I could put on the factory 14 X 7" rim?Cheers.

Last edited:
As a heads up in today's market, I was fortunate to score an NOS set of 14 X 7" Sport Caps (still in their original Ford boxes!). I paid $600 for the set.

I wasn't actively looking, but when MM ran the barn find story including my car in Sept/15, a gentleman in Tucson AZ contacted the dealer in Monroe WA indicating that he saw that my car had the original sport caps on it and if the car was going to be restored, he had an NOS set that he would like to see used on this rare BB vert...

The car had already been sold to me and the dealer sent me his info... Knowing that these were rare, especially in NOS shape, I had little choice put to "pony" up the cash... They will indeed look nice on my completed restoration.

A question for those in the know... My car came with F 70 X 14" tires. What size tire does that equate to in today's tire sizing rating system? What would be the largest tire I could put on the factory 14 X 7" rim?Cheers.
There is only one choice in 14". 225/70/14.

Interesting... The car came with 215's which looked a tad small to me. Thanks

These are 195/70R14s if that helps give you an idea of how 'skinny' they would be. 225s would be awesome, though.

attachment.php

And yes, I adjusted the hood locks after this pic. ;)

After reading this thread from the beginning I have a question that I am hoping someone can answer. I have owned a basic 73 convertible for 20 years (2nd owner) with 14" trim rings on 14x6" rims, but the width of the rings are neither 2 1/2 deep dish or 1 1/2" as described at the beginning of this thread. They are 2 1/4" in width. The car is mostly original and I have the invoice and build sheet which clearly show it was ordered with 14" trim rings. I also have a set of 14" deep dish (NOS in Ford box), so I put in a tape measure to both as shown in the posted pic.

My question is was there a third Trim Ring with a 2 1/4 width available in 73 and possibly other years on 14 x 6" rims or my rings incorrect for my car?

Also I have the part number for the 14" deep dish rings, can anyone provide the part number for the 1 1/2" or my 2 1/4" width rings?

Thanks,

Rich

Ford 14 Inch Trim Ring Width Comparision 2.jpg

Just noted this great info from CudaK. Add me to the Sport Wheel cover group. I probably have 5 sets of these things in my attic which finally made up one good set to restore and put on the car. I think I have 2 sets of the 14x7 Sport Wheel Covers. Will check tonight. Not looking to sell them right now as I have some other plans for them.

One more comment. These things are a bugger to refinish. Probably went through a hole role of tape between the chrome, black, and argent refinishing.

They were $48.33 MSRP ($41.05 Dealer) option based on my original window sticker.

1972 4.jpg

Yes, my car also came out of "storage" with the original 14" sport hub caps as per the factory invoice. I have since sourced an NOS set that will look real nice on the car once restored... My plan is to put these on the original rims with the Coker Firestone bias ply tires and have a second 14" set of magnum 500's with radials for normal driving...

429cj Convertible leaving barn.jpg

Just to add to this great info. The Sport Wheel covers in 69-70 had a round valve stem hole. It is believed sometime by mid-71 production they went to an oval hole for the valve stem.

Just to add to this great info. The Sport Wheel covers in 69-70 had a round valve stem hole. It is believed sometime by mid-71 production they went to an oval hole for the valve stem.
How about the 15 inch Sport Wheel covers? They were the rare ones.

Some turned up a month or so ago. For a car to be equipped originally with them I guess one would have to spec 15" tires first then the Sport Wheel covers would have to be in the 15 inch size. ????

Ray

After reading this thread from the beginning I have a question that I am hoping someone can answer. I have owned a basic 73 convertible for 20 years (2nd owner) with 14" trim rings on 14x6" rims, but the width of the rings are neither 2 1/2 deep dish or 1 1/2" as described at the beginning of this thread. They are 2 1/4" in width. The car is mostly original and I have the invoice and build sheet which clearly show it was ordered with 14" trim rings. I also have a set of 14" deep dish (NOS in Ford box), so I put in a tape measure to both as shown in the posted pic.

My question is was there a third Trim Ring with a 2 1/4 width available in 73 and possibly other years on 14 x 6" rims or my rings incorrect for my car?

Also I have the part number for the 14" deep dish rings, can anyone provide the part number for the 1 1/2" or my 2 1/4" width rings?

Thanks,

Rich
Rich, I'm glad you brought this up. Until now, I'd not seen any other trim ring size variant, but I'm now trying to find an answer for the 1-1/2" rings to begin with.

Perhaps they're for 14x5" rims from another 1971+ Ford product? I don't have a 14x5" to test that theory on at the moment, and I'd still want to try it on a 14x6" with both hub cap variants as well, to check depth.

Speaking of which, how deep are the hub caps on your '73? I realize you're riding on the 14x6" rims, but the overall effect of those 2.25" trim rings make it appear as if you have the wider 14x7" rims.

Honestly, I don't have an answer for this one. Not sure if I have those rings anymore either; I'll have to check.

-Kurt

Some turned up a month or so ago. For a car to be equipped originally with them I guess one would have to spec 15" tires first then the Sport Wheel covers would have to be in the 15 inch size. ????
Both the 15" Sport Wheel Covers and the 14x7" deep dish versions for 1971+ (light grey centers, not dark, as shown earlier in this thread) are pretty elusive.

I'd put a bet that most of the 15" Sport Wheel Covers surfacing out there today are 1970 variants. Wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them have been refurbished in the 1971+ scheme with the light grey/silver "spokes."

-Kurt

This was an interesting thread for sure.

Just a note on the 73 slotted forged aluminum wheels. When you look at the original window sticker one of the options included in the 73 Mach 1 63R package is Trim Rings W/Hub Caps. The other included Mach 1 options are Dual Racing Mirrors, Competition Suspension, Color-Keyed Carpeting and the last is All Vinyl Seats.

My car came with, and is listed on the sticker, (4) F-70X 14" Wide Oval Belted BSW Tires/Raised White LTRS. I also specified Goodyear Brand Name Tires, which also shows up on the window sticker. Firestone tires sucked back then and not much better today.

All that said the F-70X14" tires came on the 6" wide aluminum wheels. There was only one width aluminum wheel for Mustang in 73, Maverick and Comet in 74 and another Mercury vehicle all 6".

My 73 vert came with the sport wheel covers, 1 1/2" deep and the original owner had kept them and sent with the car along with the original steel wheels. One of the caps has one of the fake lugs twisted off. They looked like mag wheels to someone that did not know and the tire shops would hit the lugs with air wrench and break them, lol.

If your car has a six digit DSO code then it was ordered with non factory options that can be Paint / Trim. You could actually order Magnum 500 wheels on a 73 Mustang and they will show up on the build sheet in the remarks section. A Marti report does not show what a Special Order car got for options under the order only that it was a Special Order. He does not have those records they were held by the DSO for the car build and those records were destroyed he tells me. Special Orders could not include things like engine or drive train changes since they would not have been certified by government only Trim / Paint.

David

DSC_2096.JPG

Thanks,

Rich
Rich, I'm glad you brought this up. Until now, I'd not seen any other trim ring size variant, but I'm now trying to find an answer for the 1-1/2" rings to begin with.

Perhaps they're for 14x5" rims from another 1971+ Ford product? I don't have a 14x5" to test that theory on at the moment, and I'd still want to try it on a 14x6" with both hub cap variants as well, to check depth.

Speaking of which, how deep are the hub caps on your '73? I realize you're riding on the 14x6" rims, but the overall effect of those 2.25" trim rings make it appear as if you have the wider 14x7" rims.

Honestly, I don't have an answer for this one. Not sure if I have those rings anymore either; I'll have to check.

-Kurt

Both the 15" Sport Wheel Covers and the 14x7" deep dish versions for 1971+ (light grey centers, not dark, as shown earlier in this thread) are pretty elusive.

I'd put a bet that most of the 15" Sport Wheel Covers surfacing out there today are 1970 variants. Wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them have been refurbished in the 1971+ scheme with the light grey/silver "spokes."

-Kurt
Kurt,

Thanks for your response. I measured the dog dish 10 5/8" Dia and 1 5/16 in height on the outer edge (not counting the domed area). See the pic. I do believe these are the original ring size. The originals were pretty beat up, so I replaced them with the same size years ago. The rims are 6 inchers. I clipped and posted the wheel area of the car's build sheet and invoice. I believe the "T" on the build sheet wheel covers box is for Trim Rings.

The car came with E70 x14 wide ovals with white sidewalls, if that helps.

Rich

This was an interesting thread for sure.

Just a note on the 73 slotted forged aluminum wheels. When you look at the original window sticker one of the options included in the 73 Mach 1 63R package is Trim Rings W/Hub Caps. The other included Mach 1 options are Dual Racing Mirrors, Competition Suspension, Color-Keyed Carpeting and the last is All Vinyl Seats.

My car came with, and is listed on the sticker, (4) F-70X 14" Wide Oval Belted BSW Tires/Raised White LTRS. I also specified Goodyear Brand Name Tires, which also shows up on the window sticker. Firestone tires sucked back then and not much better today.

All that said the F-70X14" tires came on the 6" wide aluminum wheels. There was only one width aluminum wheel for Mustang in 73, Maverick and Comet in 74 and another Mercury vehicle all 6".

My 73 vert came with the sport wheel covers, 1 1/2" deep and the original owner had kept them and sent with the car along with the original steel wheels. One of the caps has one of the fake lugs twisted off. They looked like mag wheels to someone that did not know and the tire shops would hit the lugs with air wrench and break them, lol.

If your car has a six digit DSO code then it was ordered with non factory options that can be Paint / Trim. You could actually order Magnum 500 wheels on a 73 Mustang and they will show up on the build sheet in the remarks section. A Marti report does not show what a Special Order car got for options under the order only that it was a Special Order. He does not have those records they were held by the DSO for the car build and those records were destroyed he tells me. Special Orders could not include things like engine or drive train changes since they would not have been certified by government only Trim / Paint.

David
David,

I have a H code 73 vert that came with GR78 x 14 radials on Aluminum Slots from the factory. I not seen that configuration very often. Don't know if they were Goodyears or Firestones.

20160314_115630.jpg

Back