Identifying 14x6" vs 14x7" trim rings, hub caps, and Sport Wheel Covers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kurt,

Thanks for your response. I measured the dog dish 10 5/8" Dia and 1 5/16 in height on the outer edge (not counting the domed area). See the pic. I do believe these are the original ring size. The originals were pretty beat up, so I replaced them with the same size years ago. The rims are 6 inchers. I clipped and posted the wheel area of the car's build sheet and invoice. I believe the "T" on the build sheet wheel covers box is for Trim Rings.

The car came with E70 x14 wide ovals with white sidewalls, if that helps.

Rich
Those are definitely the thinner dog dish centers; the 14x7" variants are notably deeper (and I notice that I never did put the measurement in post #1 - guess I have something to do tonight).

Your build sheet does bring up one thing that ticks me off about Ford's nomenclature for wheels though - it only mentions tire size. My Mach 1 denotes E70x14's, but came with 14x7" wheels. It's not noted anywhere; it's just a given combination Ford would use if the E70x14" tires and hubcaps were ordered on a Mach.

In your case, the same exact tire selection gave you 14x6" wheels on a convertible.

Let me think about this.

-Kurt

Kurt,

Thanks for your response. I measured the dog dish 10 5/8" Dia and 1 5/16 in height on the outer edge (not counting the domed area). See the pic. I do believe these are the original ring size. The originals were pretty beat up, so I replaced them with the same size years ago. The rims are 6 inchers. I clipped and posted the wheel area of the car's build sheet and invoice. I believe the "T" on the build sheet wheel covers box is for Trim Rings.

Rich
Those are definitely the thinner dog dish centers; the 14x7" variants are notably deeper (and I notice that I never did put the measurement in post #1 - guess I have something to do tonight).

Your build sheet does bring up one thing that ticks me off about Ford's nomenclature for wheels though - it only mentions tire size. My Mach 1 denotes E70x14's, but came with 14x7" wheels. It's not noted anywhere; it's just a given combination Ford would use if the E70x14" tires and hubcaps were ordered on a Mach.

In your case, the same exact tire selection gave you 14x6" wheels on a convertible.

Let me think about this.

-Kurt
Kurt,

I appreciate your insight here. One more clue that may help.. my rims have a green and yellow paint marks on the inside lip which match the color codes on the build sheet. I assume this represents the rim type, size and width, but I do not know what size that is. I assumed it was 14x6. Can anyone confirm this for me.

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Rich

Kurt,

Rich

Let me think about this.

-Kurt
Kurt,

I appreciate your insight here. One more clue that may help.. my rims have a green and yellow paint marks on the inside lip which match the color codes on the build sheet. I assume this represents the rim type, size and width, but I do not know what size that is. I assumed it was 14x6. Can anyone confirm this for me.

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Rich
I found a tire wheel combination chart in the 73 shop manual Vol 1 sect/page 11-01-02. It says for 73 Mustang/Cougar, rims with a green/yellow paint code are 14 x 5.5 inch rims, zero offset, and were mounted with any of the available tire sizes. The 14 x 6 inch aluminum rims were the only other option available on Mustangs.

I found the green/yellow paint marking on my rims, therefore using the paint codes and my build sheet wheel info, I must have 14x5.5 inch rims with trim rings. I hope this helps.

Back