Immaculate 1973 Mustang Mach 1 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, gold winner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice car. I do like that color scheme. Not a big fan of the paint job on that front bumper though. I prefer the black strip between the grille and the bumper - not the body color. It just doesn't look right like this. I don't see the script "Mustang" on the front fenders :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, nice car. Hood paint is not original, or it has had a new hood without the twist locks installed. The hood locks and tutone always went together, regardless if it had functional ram-air or not.

+1 on the black paint on top rear of bumper...it looks unfinished. And I agree..."Mustang" script should be on fenders, and correct shifter knob in place if they want to legitimately claim "gold class" all-original.

And, technically there is and never was any 351officially called a "Cobra Jet"...just a 351 "CJ". ( I know, I know...thats being nit-picky, but us big-block guys have to protect our heritage, you know?)

Nice car but I'm not sure about the tail lite panel being black.
:huh: It's a Mach 1. Why wouldn't it have? OK you got me thinking - since 73's are my weak link when it comes to what I know (or better - what I THINK I know! :D ). I believe it has the correct 'camera case' textured backing with the correct stainless brightwork trim/moulding and has the correct screw-on gas cap.

At first I though you might have meant the tail lights themselves - we all know they do not have the blacked out brightwork next to the lenses like the 71's and 72's. The ones on this car appear to be correct.

Ray

:huh: It's a Mach 1. Why wouldn't it have? OK you got me thinking - since 73's are my weak link when it comes to what I know (or better - what I THINK I know! :D ). I believe it has the correct 'camera case' textured backing with the correct stainless brightwork trim/moulding and has the correct screw-on gas cap.
He means the taillight panel itself has been painted all-black, like this thing:

i73ma1.jpg

-Kurt

He means the taillight panel itself has been painted all-black, like this thing:

i73ma1.jpg

-Kurt
Thanks Kurt. Now I see. And he is correct - they should not be totally black.

Thanks. Good catch.

Ray

I'll admit though - for a custom, it's a nice touch. Cleans the back end up in a cross between a Boss 351 and a Mach 1.

-Kurt

I'll admit though - for a custom, it's a nice touch. Cleans the back end up in a cross between a Boss 351 and a Mach 1.

-Kurt
Agreed. Here's a pic of the rear of a Boss for comparison. (btw gotta be careful how you say that... :D ) Ray

dqgbr.jpg

Agreed. Here's a pic of the rear of a Boss for comparison. (btw gotta be careful how you say that... :D ) Ray

dqgbr.jpg
Boss 351 still wins out as the best tail panel treatment on any of the '71-73 Sportsroofs though. The minimalism is better than the honeycomb.

-Kurt

Back in the 70s, it was very, very common to see mach 1s with the tail-panels painted black.

The reason? As we all know, the tail-light panel is a notorious area for rust. Many people who could not afford to or justify spending big money on such a low-value car ( at the time) simply had the panels bondo'd up cheaply, and the black paint was cheaper and easier than trying to color-match the faded factory paint.

It is fascinating how certain common occurences happen over the years. Funny how most 71-73s back then did NOT have ram-air and an authentic ram-air car was a rarity. Today, any scooped-hood equipped Mustang typically has ram-air...it is rare to see one without it now.

I was tempted to call but decided not to. There is too much wrong with this gold winner concourse car for me to let it slide in casual conversation. I would love to see the Marti report to verify if it has the convienance group or not. The rear ashtray says yes but the missing center dash map light says no. The 14" trim rings are wrong and not originals. There should be no black visible between the ring and the dog dish. Spoiler on the front?? It should not be there on a concourse car.

I don't mind a car being not factory original. I have issue when they are being promoted as factory when clearly the car isn't. The owner may not know the differences and I don't feel like offering unsolicited correction. It does look like a very nice car though. ;)

Here's the ad...

"I'm selling my beautifully restored 1973 Mustang Mach 1. Featured in Mustang Monthly magazine. This 73 Mustang was the hottest muscle car in 1973. This is a "Q" code, 351 Cobra Jet with 4 barrel carburator and 4 barrel heads. Has a 4 speed transmission with an aluminum "T" handle shifter in center floor console. There were only 3,610 made in 1973. Car has factory A/C, power steering, power disc brakes (front), AM radio with original factory 8 track tape player. Full gauges with clock. New original tooled dash pad. Beautiful new interior with bucket seats and center console with the 4 speed Hurst shifter. All glass original. Exterior completely restored with original white paint. Has sporty factory black racing stripes. Front and rear stabilizer bars. Complete new exhaust system with duel tips. New tail lights, new rear bumper. My car won "Gold" in Mustang Club of America's Conquers Driven Class competition. This car in Conquers correct. See photo of my car in Mustang Monthly magazine article. Beautiful car inside, outside, under hood and underside. More photos available upon request. Super fast and fun to drive. Great sound. Has factory correct wheels, caps and tires. I have another set of sporty wheels and tires that go with the car. You can see them on my Mustang in the additional pictures. Both sets go with the car. I don't text or email, so call me personally for more info, price and more photos if interested. Call Michael at 251 973 12 eight six. Thanks...."

00X0X_ac7hJhPWr97_600x450.jpg

00O0O_dXlvL5EgSfK_600x450.jpg

01414_aoxGM491obi_600x450.jpg

00c0c_iB9W56fynfn_600x450.jpg

00L0L_daNjxb1Sljf_600x450.jpg

00j0j_fDZpJAvxpxp_600x450.jpg

00A0A_fxQy7elU62e_600x450.jpg

00Q0Q_kg1NpWWrwxt_600x450.jpg

00x0x_8SjEiPbrodK_600x450.jpg

00M0M_g15jmx6lyGR_600x450.jpg

00z0z_8yZ0IitHa4Y_600x450.jpg

00n0n_3spt55cywuC_600x450.jpg

00H0H_cVD9x1uqhcS_600x450.jpg

00v0v_g6Ieyv3hFTC_600x450.jpg

00M0M_cpdrSsmI5Pg_600x450.jpg

00B0B_7fKE5uVKDO4_600x450.jpg

I know a good deal about our beloved 71-73 mustangs but I certainly know there is a lot I don't know. Another member who knows more about concourse judging sent me additional information. So inorder to provide the best information I've posted it below.

"Don I have learned a concourse winning car is not necessarily perfect in every detail.

There are points given and points taken away. They can still win a concourse level award while taking identified deductions for items that are incorrect per current judging guidelines.

I didn't want to look like I know more than anyone else so I thought I'd simply PM you. I'm sure with some of my quick comments on here some fail to realize they are just my strong desire to keep information as correct as possible. I would hope you use and post this info in your words to help others understand."

I know a good deal about our beloved 71-73 mustangs but I certainly know there is a lot I don't know. Another member who knows more about concourse judging sent me additional information. So inorder to provide the best information I've posted it below.

"Don I have learned a concourse winning car is not necessarily perfect in every detail.

There are points given and points taken away. They can still win a concourse level award while taking identified deductions for items that are incorrect per current judging guidelines.

I didn't want to look like I know more than anyone else so I thought I'd simply PM you. I'm sure with some of my quick comments on here some fail to realize they are just my strong desire to keep information as correct as possible. I would hope you use and post this info in your words to help others understand."
Point well made

Back