Interesting Forum Observation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All 1965-1973 are called Collectible or classic Mustangs so 1971-73 are included
Try telling that to the 'collectors.' :D

And technically, the '74-78s and early Fox-bodies now fall into the 'classic' category because of their age (when it comes to registering the vehicle through the DMV, that is).

All_three_small.JPG

All 1965-1973 are called Collectible or classic Mustangs so 1971-73 are included
I would much rather own a 71-73 versus a 64-65. The reasons are obvious if you drive an older stock Mustang. They just handle pretty bad and there is a limit to what you can do (larger wheels and brakes, etc.) and then lots of people will say you ruined the car by modifying it. Ford made about 2 mllion 65-66's a little over 400K 71-73's so our cars should be worth more based on the numbers but that have nothing to do with what people will pay. It all has to do with what people want/like. I'm glad only a small percentage of enthusiast like 71-73's because it keeps the prices of parts down. I'm not a hoarder of cars or parts and I've never bought a car as an investment - I buy them to drive and enjoy them.

With me it was just the opposite:

Owning a 71-73 Mustang made me wanna have a site like this! :)

Thanks to Barry that has been taken care of.

I don't really care if the cars are collectible or not. I still think that no mass produced item should ever be really collectible. If you look at the prices for 67-68 Fastbacks and consider that there were over a hundred thousand made, there is something very wrong.

I don't wanna dis earlier years of Mustangs, but I love it when I go to a car show and I'm only one of 2 or 3 71-73 there.

And I get very positive reactions from people, just not from the early Mustang guys. Do I care? Nope!

There were only a little over 6000 72 convertibles made. (Back in the days even Shelby produced more Mustangs than that).

I read somewhere that with old cars it is safe to assume that 70% of the cars originally produced no longer exist.

Based on this, I suppose that there are only about 2000 of these convertibles still in existence.

That is in existence, not in running order! That includes the parts cars.

I know what I have here! Let the other guys swim with the crowd if they feel so inclined. If they dont' want it, that leaves more for the rest of us! :)
Of those 6,401 convertibles made in 1972, fifty were Olympic sprints. See where they are not at www.1972mustangsprint.com

You would be surprised how many are still around although a lot of them are pretty rough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a Mustang fan pretty much since I was a baby, I've always been around Mustangs. I joined another forum board when I started looking for another "classic" Mustang,and the funny thing is I don't think I've signed into it in about 8 months. You really get tired of hearing that "your car is the least desirable of all the classic Mustangs.

I have to say my hat is off to Barry for starting this site and to the members that use it. It's nice to find a bunch of guys that have a common interest and are willing to share their expertise with the rest of us.

I've been a Mustang fan pretty much since I was a baby, I've always been around Mustangs. I joined another forum board when I started looking for another "classic" Mustang,and the funny thing is I don't think I've signed into it in about 8 months. You really get tired of hearing that "your car is the least desirable of all the classic Mustangs.

I have to say my hat is off to Barry for starting this site and to the members that use it. It's nice to find a bunch of guys that have a common interest and are willing to share their expertise with the rest of us.
{thumbs up}

Ditto.

I like the 65s and the 71s the best. The 66s and 72s are ok. You can have the rest...they're just not for me.

This is my first Mustang. The only other Ford I owned was a '61 Mercury Comet.

I belong to a couple of Yahoo groups that deal with Mustang's and a local Mustang

club. They are all mostly about the '60s. Very little mention of our cars.

We are in a restoration process and the information gathered from this forum

has been invaluable. There is simply nothing like it out there.

mike

::goodjob:: Yep, I have to agree with all that has been said & I could not give a tinkers damn about the value, in fact I am happy our cars are affordable.

To me the aesthetics of the 71-73 Mustangs are the best Ford ever produced, if you look at the 69 Shelby our cars look like they were heavily influenced by it especially in the front.

Back in the day my first car was a 69 Mach 1 so it will always be my "first love" like a first girlfriend but even back then I thought the 71-73s were a better looking car.

AJ

When I was just shy of 16 and looking for a car (thirty years ago) I kind of liked the 67 mustang fastbacks. I had a line on a 65 fastback but didn't like the looks of it and being a little tall it didn't fit me. My buddy had a 73 Mach for sale and it was a done deal.

Funny thing is, now, between the 67 and 65 fastback, I kind of like the 65 better.

I would turn down a 70 shelby convert but you know, when you look at those, you see a lot of our design in them

New member here. I've also ran into classic Mustang enthusiast who don't consider my 71 Mach1 a classic, some consider the 70 model the last classic...to each their own. I've admired the 71 -73 Fastbacks since I was a teen (they were new then) and finally broke down and bought an unmolested one after much searching. The wife and I bought it because we like it, plus there are actually fewer of them available than the ealier Mustangs because there were lower production numbers. Don't get me wrong I love all of the first generation Mustangs but to me they don't compare to the joy of sitting in the cockpit of my 71 Mach1 staring out over the long nasa hood kicking in the secondaries as I pull onto the freeway. I also love the new Mustangs but the "seat of the pants" driving experience of driving a classic muslce car can't be replicated. Glad I found this site where there are other classic Mustang renegades like me.

New member here. I've also ran into classic Mustang enthusiast who don't consider my 71 Mach1 a classic, some consider the 70 model the last classic...to each their own. I've admired the 71 -73 Fastbacks since I was a teen (they were new then) and finally broke down and bought an unmolested one after much searching. The wife and I bought it because we like it, plus there are actually fewer of them available than the ealier Mustangs because there were lower production numbers. Don't get me wrong I love all of the first generation Mustangs but to me they don't compare to the joy of sitting in the cockpit of my 71 Mach1 staring out over the long nasa hood kicking in the secondaries as I pull onto the freeway. I also love the new Mustangs but the "seat of the pants" driving experience of driving a classic muslce car can't be replicated. Glad I found this site where there are other classic Mustang renegades like me.
{thumbs up} I dont think there is a year i dont like...they can all be really cool.

I turned 13 in 71 and grew up at the end of the so called "true muscle cars" thru 78 when "more watts in your stereo than HP" was happening. I chose a 73 Mach 1 for my pleasure and watched a 70 tailight me me hardtime and decided that wasn't going to be the rule. Built a low 10's 351 cleveland then and never regretted it. Guess it just comes down to what you grew up with, what you want, and where you want to go with it. I now own a 73 Chevele 454SS and 2 Q code 73 Mach 1's. Big? Yes!. Fast? HELL YES! Worth the effort? ABSOLUTELY!! Not everyone can make em do it like we do!

i can't get enough on the 71-73 models. my second car was my 72 convertible and i still love it to pieces. this big bodies handle a lot better that the 64-70 models if they have power steering. my 66 k-code, which didn't have PS, handle almost better than my 72 convertible and the 71 boss. but i guess that due to the weight of the car. anyway all in all i love the big bodies :)

They are all good. Truth be told, if I could afford a building with one of every muscle car ever made, by EVERY manufacturer, I would do so.....that's how I feel when I walk around a car show. Unless you lived through it, you can never know what if felt like to be there in the late 60's and early 70's.

Man, do I wish I had video of the Chicago Auto Shows I attended in those days. They even had Dinah Shore (YouTube her if you don't have a clue LOL) in person, on stage singing "See The USA in Your Chevrolet" as they drove each model across the stage. Huge roll of kettle drums and the deep voiced announcer would say "THE 1964 CHEVROLET IMAPALA" and the orchestra would fill the auditorium with that theme. If you love classic cars, you don't feel a need to denigrate any make or model. They are our life's history.

If you love classic cars, you don't feel a need to denigrate any make or model. They are our life's history.
+1! I'm not into brand bashing at all. I simply love all classic cars, especially late 60ies and everything muscle car.

Ok, I got a Ford, but as I said many times before,I love Mopars (especially the 71 Roadrunner, the classic Chargers, cudas and Challengers are a given, anyway) and I also wouldn't mind having a badass Chevi Nova or Chevelle....or a 64 Impala or a 71 Buick Riviera.....or.....Damn there are just so many cool cars out there!

This little clip is one reason why I own a (couple of ) 1971-73 Mustangs. I think it's even better than Steve McQueen, (and I love "BULLITT" !! ) This makes you want to own one !

[video=youtube]

p.s. Turn up your sound ! It's not your heart beating, it's their soundtrack.

Last edited by a moderator:
To My fellow 7173mustang members,

I realized that my post comments to the Cole’s Top Engine Rebuild thread was irresponsible and not very considerate to Cole and our fellow members. I was operating in the world of know it all’s. I believe it is my delivery of some of my posts that make it that way. I just want to pass along my experiences to the members, offer good support, and value others members experiences! I have certainly learned a lot from this forum!! I have pulled my head out of my butt. I missed the opportunity to add value to the thread by fully understanding the thread. The information I provide was inappropriate for the thread.

I hope that the members of this 71737mustang forum will accept my sincere apologies!

Thank You!

Mustang7173 :s

Back