Interesting Forum Observation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would agree and applaude everyone who contributes to this forum. By far it is my favorite one and everybody works to keep it clean. I would specifically thank and acknowledge all of the administrators and those who have taken on leadership roles. Without their efforts it could easliy slide down the slippery slope that many of us see in other forums. KUDOS to our admins.

Where else can you get a shooters award talking about 7173 Mustangs?

That was bad enough but then one guy asked if he should upgrade to a 3 row radiator because he had issues with overheating and the picture showed he had no fan shroud. So I posted that he should get a fan shroud first and that it would probably help by forcing the air through the radiator instead of simply swirling it all over the place
You are absolutely correct on your diagnosis. I learned this the hard way.

What I really like is we are not delusional about our Mustangs. (Except about being the best looking models)

1. They drive better than the originals but no where near as good as a modern car.

2. They are not as fast as we remember. A new 6cyl mustang has more HP than my stock Cleveland did. (And more gears in the tranny too)

3. They are not worth a small fortune.

Also, we promote a "It is yours to do with as you please" attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, NONE of the classic muscle cars are as fast as most people remember through "rose colored glasses".

There were some pretty nasty muscle cars made, for sure. Cobra Jets, LS-6s, HEMIs, etc...that turned in regular 13 or even 12- second 1/4s, but those are the super-low production ultra rare versions of those cars. And it's those cars whose road tests live on in infamy in most people's minds.

Every Mach 1 was not a Cobra Jet...there were plenty of 351-2V, and even 302 2-Vs. Every Chevelle SS did not have the big thumper 396(402) in it. There were plenty more of the 350-2bbl versions made.

And a Charger with a 318 2-barrell may be the most common, but its the HEMI-powered monsters most remember.

The sad but true fact is that a car like my Mustang, a 429 powered Mach 1...arguably the quickest original Mustang ever sold by Ford...is only a mediocre performer by today's standards.

Today's Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers put our old tubs in the weeds every time.

My 69 Vette( 350/350, 4-speed) is a downright pooch compared to a current Mustang GT.

And that's just straight-line acceleration from a stop. Talk about anything else: stopping, turning or fuel economy, and it is a joke to even attempt to compare them.

Our old classics can certainly be improved in every area dramatically using today's technology, but then they are not indicative of an "original car".

To me, these old cars are all about the "preservation of yesterday's performance "as opposed to " yesterday's performance vs today's performance".

I love 'em stock...even if my new work truck is faster.

Ya, this is the only place I care to hang my cyberhat. There are a lot of great guys that hang out here.

And, as stated, thanks to the other mods and admins for helping to keep an eye on things. It makes this site a much more enjoyable place to chew the fat.

Don65 invited me to this forum while I was a moderator on a smaller board.

This is a nice place. I left the other board after a few months as I felt I had found a "home" as far as car guys go.

If you haven't had the pleasure of my poking fun at you, rest assured that as soon as Wolverine's paint dries, I'll be on my way over to insult you.

As to the speed of Muscle cars in "the day" I am lucky enough to have started driving when Muscle cars were too expensive to drive and too cheap to ignore. the late 70's early 80's was a dream time for these cars as you could pick them up for a song.

I encourage all members to donate to the site, give away small things when you can help a fellow member, and encourage one another in our pursuits.

and don't take yourself too seriously.

I do agree this is a cool place to hangout in cyberspace. I'm really not one to do much social media stuff. For me its more than a place to hang. I'm not an experienced mechanic and this is really the only forum I've spent any time on. I'm really not sure how some of you have the time to be active members of lots of other forums. Bottom line for me is when I need help and advise I get it. This forum allows me to do (or attempt to do) projects that I'd usually let (pay) an "expert" do. There are good people here. Its always nice, and sometime very helpful to share with folks that share similar interests. I only wish there was more I could do to give back to the members here. Thanks...

This is a great site. Members have help me solve a lot of problems with my 73 vert. I have learn a lot and there always some interesting posts to read. Us Northern members need a few good laughs to get us thought the long winters.

John J

Well, the fact alone that this is the only forum which I grace with my presence makes this a great one. ;)

No, what is special is the absence of know it alls and jerks (although I sometimes try to be one and simply enjoy it). I am on two other forums (guitar related) and I used to be on one German Mustang forum. The guitar forums are ok but you have a bunch of guys that don't know their butts from a hole in the ground and you have the wannabe experts that claim to know everything.

Hardly anyone is riding on the middle of the road there.

The German Mustang forum is an "ex" for me because of two things: Mismanagement and jerks. They decided in order to thin the herd that users would have to pay an annual fee of 15€ (about 19 USD) in order to use the forum in its integrity. As a non paying member you may not post for sale ads or (and that's the worst part) send any PMs. (Ok, try getting in touch with a poor guy who paid his fees and posted something for sale you want to buy if you can't send PMs!) :)

If you sign up to those conditions, that's one thing but if you have been a member for years and suddenly you get those rights revoked that sucks, especially as from one day to the next you could not access your private messages anymore.

Now, I had lots of important info in there that I got cut off off from one day to the next. Just like here where I got several members' private numbers or addresses or links to companies.

That was bad enough but then one guy asked if he should upgrade to a 3 row radiator because he had issues with overheating and the picture showed he had no fan shroud. So I posted that he should get a fan shroud first and that it would probably help by forcing the air through the radiator instead of simply swirling it all over the place and if that did not help he could still upgrade the radiator.

The next reply was my quoted text with the comment "What bullshit!", nothing more. I never logged in again after that.

Screw them and their kindergarten forum.

Ok, rant over but the point I wanted to make is that here you get good advice and if people disagree they bother to explain why. If they still don't agree after that they agree to disagree which is very cool.

And there is a special kind of humor on this site.

I think it may be because we tend to get shunned on most Mustang related forums and this is like a retreat where everyone enjoys the company of their peers.

Did I mention there is an amazing lack of jerks here..... :)
What bullshit---that's just plain BS.

Just kidding. Someone has to keep Lux's head from getting too large...:p:D

I am a member of a couple of other forums but rarely go to or post there. I don't post much on here but I do check and read the posts every day.

I have not found another forum that is as laid back and drama-free as this one. Plus the forum is all about my favorite years of cars.

I do not text, email or post anything I would not say to someone in person and I wish more people would do that. It is far too easy for people to sit behind their keyboard and say whatever they want. Chickens!@ts!!!

Well I find it hard to tolerate any of you except rpmcarter. Him I hate rofl. Joking about all of it of course. Its good here, you can learn Heaps or just have fun its a fine mix indeed.

Yes, and we even accept Australians on the forum!!! :)

Oh, by the way, this is also the only forum where members try to meet each other and post about later. It shows that there must be a feeling of belonging to a group and that personal contact is important.

I could have visited almost any member of the German forum within a 3 or 4 hours radius but I didn't care. I only met one guy, whom I bought the AOD from but he's a member here too (Illdor).

Don65 invited me to this forum while I was a moderator on a smaller board.

This is a nice place. I left the other board after a few months as I felt I had found a "home" as far as car guys go.

If you haven't had the pleasure of my poking fun at you, rest assured that as soon as Wolverine's paint dries, I'll be on my way over to insult you.

As to the speed of Muscle cars in "the day" I am lucky enough to have started driving when Muscle cars were too expensive to drive and too cheap to ignore. the late 70's early 80's was a dream time for these cars as you could pick them up for a song.

I encourage all members to donate to the site, give away small things when you can help a fellow member, and encourage one another in our pursuits.

and don't take yourself too seriously.
Hey, you keep hurting Wolverine's feeling like that he may never come back.

Back