Just Exactly Which 351 C Is This Block

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look closer, the second digit should be the assembly plant letter. It's also missing the second to last digit in the consecutive unit number - unless the stamping is completely pooched up.

1 ? 2195_7

71 model year

? assembly plant

2195_7 consecutive unit #

The Oct/Nov casting date jives with the 71 model year, but the unit number may be a bit too high. My Mach is a Dec '70 built Metuchen car and is 167xxx

Also what's left of that stamping doesn't look like any letter that was used for the 71 Ford assembly plants. If it's a number, I'd guess it's a 3.

Regarding the missing "2" on the D2AE blocks, looking at rackerm's photo, it looks like there used to be a "1" there and it was removed. wouldn't be at all surprised if a batch of blocks were cast as D1AE-CA and the decision was to remove the "1" and send them down the line.

I completely overlooked that "7" hanging out there by itself. That just adds to the mystery.
Yes, that's what makes it so strange. The mystery "6" or "?" is the second digit. I will start another thread with more information so not to monopolize this one. The chassis stamped number has also an obvious error that adds to the mystery.

I completely overlooked that "7" hanging out there by itself. That just adds to the mystery.
Yes, that's what makes it so strange. The mystery "6" or "?" is the second digit. I will start another thread with more information so not to monopolize this one. The chassis stamped number has also an obvious error that adds to the mystery.
Here is the thread I started analyzing the mystery.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-mystery-surrounding-my-engine-and-chassis-serial-numbers

Back