Just wondering what kind of response you get to your cars?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the 80's I use to take this car and cruise Waikiki on the weekends and remembered getting pulled over and stopped by Japanese tourists who would stop traffic and take pictures next to it or where ever it was parked LOL! I even got a $10,000 offer once from a Japanese tourist that appeared to be very serious. Even if I was young and broke it never crossed my mind to sell and peeled out of there. Oh, I regreted later cause not soon after, I blew the motor and the car sat for 20 years LOL! Well, fast forward 20+ years and after the rebuild, the car still gets crazy attention. The kids would say "look look, he's taking a picture" Yes, I've seen it done from a 4way intersection even LOL! Taken the car out maybe 10x since the rebuild and everyday since the car gets the thumbs up and huge smiles. People would ask what kinda car or make comments like "wow, you don't see these everyday" And, becuase of the shitty ripoff gas prices, I've had to top it off on every outing. This is when I'll spend some time talking to the person on the pump next to mine :) Never miss and it's a great way to make friends. I painted mine grabber orange/argent and I've already got a few comments like "Not the color I would've painted it" and I just say "yea, you do look like a pink color kinda guy" LOL! Other than that, no negative comments, but I do read them online and I feel those are just followers and jealous ones who can't be lucky enough to own one like ours ;) I found that the Chevy guys who hate this car don't really hate the body style but the engine it came with. They already pee in their pants at the sound of "351 Cleveland" But add the word "Boss" game over! Time to leave and till-the-soil lollerz

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... it is a fact that our cars looks impresive and now that they are actually, as we speak, becoming classic cars, the responses are going to be better day by day... I don´t know you guys but when i park my car in the street and look at it from certain distance, i got impreesed myself... IT IS A GORGEOUS CAR no matter what angle i look...

I own the only one 71-73 fsatback body style in my country so the responses i get are always amazed persons who are seeing something extrange that looks like a mixture of a mustang with a mopar front...

More stories...

While I already shared a couple here are two more that stand out.

Met some friends for lunch, was sitting on the resturaunt patio. I had snagged the parallel spot about 20 feet away from where we were sitting. Car was looking good as it was a sunny day but it sat in the shade of some trees. The attention it got was amazing. People pointing, stopping to look, that kind of stuff. Had a couple of college girls stop and start to take pictures of themselves with the car. My friends were telling me I should let them sit in it etc... I disagreed. Anyways, its fun to see the reactions when you are not actually 'with' the car.

Another time I was sitting behind a really really nice black Mercedes convertible. You know, the $100K plus one with the v12 and all that. Fantastic car. A group of young folks turn the corner and one shouts out 'Nice Mustang'... LOL

So having a convertible I normally only drive it when the weather is nice. When folks comment on my car my canned response is 'Nice day for it'.

I bought my little old H-code a just over a year ago and had it for a week before it went in for some body restoration that was completed about 10 days ago.
BTW Bill, Congratulations on finally getting to have your new old car back to you all fixed up. :D

Post some pics for us.

My first 71-73 was a 72 Mach1 and with a lot of effort and steep learning curve my dad and I got it to the point that everybody would stop and give an appreciative second look. 25+ years ago when I parked it at work my boss often commented that it looked like it was moving fast while parked.

The 73 convertible I have right now looks pretty sun-faded but still gets lots of looks and comments too.

I think the best aspect of our cars is the variety of colours, stripe kits and accessories that are available. They are sharp cars to begin with but add on the spoilers, stripe kits, Magnum 500s, or 73 Aluminum wheels, and NASA scoop hood with argent or blackout and other years look a little plain. It would seem to me that only the Shelbys of the 60's have that kind of attention grabbing bling. But I am a little prejudiced.

I usually get positive feedback. The best one was when I was on a vacation in Italy and the Highway patrol on motorcycles made me pull over. They did not want to see my license or anything. They asked lots of questions about the car and wanted to look under the hood and took pictures of each other with the car. When I told them to sit behind the wheel for the pictures, I had made their day!

The guys actually wanted me to step hard on the accelerator, when I left, because they wanted to hear it and see how fast it would pull away.

I left two black stripes on the road and the guys passed by two minutes later and gave me huge smiles and thumbs up!

As for our cars not being liked, I think that it is mostly the people that are into Mustangs that look down on them. The average Joe sees a nice vintage car and likes it, but the Mustang crowd has been taught not to like them, because legend has it that it has ruined the classic Mustang which is by no means true.

It only came out at the wrong time.......

Response is mixed, depending on where the car is.

If it is in a Family setting the comments i get are:

"oh you got that thing running"

"you should sell it"

"its got rust and bubbles under the paint"

"it needs a paint job"

"i had one just like it in 1967 it was a 357 Boss hog special edition model."

"what a piece of sh*t"

"its got dents"

"when will you sell it?"

"WHATS THE MPG, WHATS THE MPG, WHATS THE MPG(repeat until you do a burnout in front of their prius"

Basically my family is a bunch of know nothing hate everything type of people, and i hate them also.

---------

If I'm at a mustang Specific show: I walk around and act like i'm just a tourist to get unfiltered reactions.

"i hate the yellow paint" (this was pretty funny, some 80 year old guy went on a 15 minute long rant about my shade of yellow paint job)

"Oh its a mustang II i don't care"

"meh"

"71-73s should all be junked"

"ford didn't make mustangs from 1971 to 1979"

"DAD look a PINTO!"

---

When the 71-73 fans show up then its

"Nice"

"cool"

(asks me specific questions)

"DOES THE A/C WORK" <-- this year i get to say YES :)

at any ford show I've gone to I've been lucky to run into 1 or 2 other cars usually its a 1973.

the biggest ford show i went to had 5 71-73 cars show up. there was 30 shelby's that showed up comparing the numbers.

If i'm driving on the road cruising:

People always look i catch them out of the corner of my eye

i get thumbs up

people honk

have gotten a few screams of cool car, like your car.

was once surrounded by a motorcycle gang on the highway that began to make a circle around my car and tell me how cool it was and how would such a young guy be interested in a car that is almost 40 years old.

if i pass another mustang i usually get a thumbs up, honk or flashing headlights, or a wave.

if i pass another classic on the road i get the same.

if i go to a general car show: i usually get a nice car comment.

I think we have all read about how much these cars are disliked so much that we actually started to beleive it! I can tell you that from day one, September 3,1973,the day I bought mine I have had nothing but head turning looks and thumbs up etc.....like was said I was on one of the other Mustang sites and kind of got tired of it. I am glad we are coming together as owners and started getting the recognition these cars deserve. My car draws so much attention where ever I go it almost scares me with the way some peaple react these days.

I do get my biggest kick at the track on Saturday nights.We are not even close to being the fastest car out there, but peaple really like to see "old school" cars like ours. We had a local Mustang club show up at the track the other night, with some fast and unusual earlly stangs, but mine drew the biggest crowd! I just love it when I am at the burn out box or staged at night, you just would not beleive the number of camara flashes that go off!

So I say it is our time to shine!

This brings me to another idea. If you look at my front plate, you will see another sites logo. I do not hardly even visit them any more. We need to develop a front plate for "7173mustang.com".How about it? T shirt's? Hats?

Mustang 5.jpg

This brings me to another idea. If you look at my front plate, you will see another sites logo. I do not hardly even visit them any more. We need to develop a front plate for "7173mustang.com".How about it? T shirt's? Hats?
I hear ya about not visiting that site any more. If I didn't have the 65 I wouldn't have any need to visit them.

+1 for the 7173 license plate & T-shirt product idea.

"Every" time I take my 73 convert out I always get some kind of recognition. Young, old, male, female (don't tell my wife that). Even at stop lights it's usually "nice car" "what year", etc. What I find amazing is how even the youngest kids, even under 10 years old, give a holler or a thumbs up. Even before the new paint I got a lot of recognition too, so don't be afraid of driving around in your work in progress Mustang!

and +2 in any way to make our group of friends called 7173mustang forum present in our cars everyday... This site group us... we made this between ourselves and i think this is the only impresonal, cold internet site that most of us are part of proudly... I believe as me, many of you guys feel the same... Going into this forum everyday is not just a place where you can get help or show your knowledge... This is the place where we trully share our passion, the passion of a growing bunch of GOOD people that due to a hard work and devotion, own a FANTASTIC car, no matter what the less lucky than we are persons that doesn´t own these car can say...

To be honest, it´s not the car itself but the 100+1 moments we spent on him fisically or mentally as we do in here... That make each one of the cars we own fantastic...

I´m proud to say i´m part of a group of guys that are making 3 of the 47 years of mustangs growing... We actually help each other so much that we are building better our cars and that my friends, is the true engine that make people in the street smile as we pass by them. The way i see it is if it wasn´t for you guys, i wouldn´t own this car with this pride... from the day one i´ve felt warm welcomed in here and each thing that improves my car, first makes me happy to get to know you and proud to being a good guy that you are willing to help me...

So... bottom line, our cars are what we are making them be but the most important thing is that we made a solid group of great guys who share everything we can in every matter we can just for the pleasure of helping other in its dream... THAT´S THE GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT OF OUR CARS... make us dream and be able to enjoy the dream day after day...

I´m possitive of every "merchandising" that let the regular people know why my car is as beautiful as it is...

I just got my golf shirt, magnet and decal from cafepress. Very nice and reasonable prices. Too bad not boxer short though - I could have put pics on Twitter and made out cars famous. :p

Whether I drive the Mach or Sprint I always get thumbs up and people want to tell me about the Mustang they used to own. My son asks if everyone has owned a Mustang and I tell him if they have not they will someday.

Rex

the license plate idea is great. As for shirts hats, mugs and more just go here

http://www.cafepress.ca/7173Mustangs

or even easier go to the more tab on top and click on store and there you go:D
Thanks for the info ! I never knew.
I was clueless too! Nice selection of items.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the responses, I've been enjoying reading them...I do believe the hardest critics are other mustang owners, but even they are admitting they like them lol......subsequent to posting this thread I entered it in a show (70's class) and for the first time it got a 2nd place even though I listed it as modified and my wheels have a few scrapes (but I'm keeping them on cause I like them lol)......I was totally surprised because there was a grabber blue 1970 Boss 302 looking real good that pulled in after me. I thought for sure it would beat mine, but it didn't......a concours type 70 chevelle took first place, but keep in mind it's most Chevy country where I live.

I have not got to the place to drive mine but I am looking forward to that day. I have transported it a couple of times for various work and I get comments on it everytime it is out. I cannot forsee anything but problems trying to get gone from anywhere I happen to stop once it is being driven! I love my 1973 Mach 1.

Good post: I've owned : 65, 66, 71, 72, 79, 01, 03, over the years, I have had quite a few 65 and 66's. By far and away....... by 1,000%....... I get more positive compliments about my 72 Mustang than all the other Mustangs combined. People who insult the 71-73 quite frankly are jealous.....our stangs have the perfect blend of retro styling and styling which fits the present and even into the future. Having said that I never saw a Mustang I didn't like :D

Back