Just wondering what kind of response you get to your cars?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I bought my mustang < i knew it needed work over time but i loved her no matter what anybody said. my brother hated my car for the simple fact he hated 71-73 coupes, which made me love my car even more. when i worked at this big ford dealership you would think ppl would of thought it was cool but no< it was always, I hate those years or its a coupe or wow ur car needs everything and im not gonna lie its not perfect but i just think people do not see what i see and i see an awesome car. anybody could build a 64-70 but it take a real man to build a 71-73. my 72 coupe was my first real car that i bought for myself and can say its mine.

I agree 100%. I love my coupe, it has grown on me. The coupes don't get enough respect. I like them all but I have not driven mine to town to get enough replys but my neighbors think its cool to see all the progress. Even the people taking walks always wave and smile or give a thumbs up. Your typical ford fan disregards the 71-73 like a mustangII. I don't know why, they have enough room under the hood for a jet engine, handle better than any previous mustang, and are technologically superior in just about every way. I will admit my favorite body style is a 69fastback but hey everyone wants those and I like being different. And I do believe the coupe is lighter than any others which has its benifits in and of itself.

Heres to the coupe owners :cheers:

I was never a big fan of the 71-73's back when they were new. But within the last year for some reason seeing a red/black combo vert starting growing on me. So I bought one in Feb and now in the process of making it a Mach I tribute. I actually sold my 2003 GT vert with the same combo to buy the 73.

So far getting a lot of smiles as I pass people on the street.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get tons of thumbs ups wherever i go. At gas stations, stop light everywhere haha. The first time i took it to the track i had a ton of import guys checkin it out and saying they have never seen a mustang look like that. a local bracket racer said in the 80's these stangs were everywhere, now they have gone extinct. the best reaction is when i drive it to high school, the whole parking lot instanly freezes hearing that dual glasspacked 351 cleveland purr. all the positive input makes me love my car more and more.

I can't believe I missed this thread when it came around the first time. Usually, I get, "Wow - that's a lot of work," or, "Holy Cow - you've done a lot of work so far." Initially, there were a lot of people telling me it was too big of a project and I should've held out (i.e., paid more money) for a better car as a starting point... which just made me more determined to prove them wrong.

Now, I mostly hear, "Wow - I can't believe you did all that! It's going to be freaken awesome when it's done." Along with, "When are you going to fire it up and start driving it?"

Personally, I can't wait until I'm actually driving it, if nothing more than to prove all the nay-sayers wrong... but mostly, just to finally start enjoying it all and see everybody's reaction to having an awesome '71 Mach 1 cruising the streets of San Angelo.

Now, I mostly hear, "Wow - I can't believe you did all that! It's going to be freaken awesome when it's done." Along with, "When are you going to fire it up and start driving it?"
How about "I got tired of waiting for you to fire yours up so I got my own"?

You were lucky you were on-duty at the gate... you almost got smacked for that. rofl

(It might've been worth it, but I truly did not want to test your training, get yanked out of my car, and hauled off to Holding... although if Wheeler, Overcash, and Denham would've been there, they probably would've just laughed) ;)

You were lucky you were on-duty at the gate... you almost got smacked for that. rofl

(It might've been worth it, but I truly did not want to test your training, get yanked out of my car, and hauled off to Holding... although if Wheeler, Overcash, and Denham would've been there, they probably would've just laughed) ;)
Nice! lol

Went to an indoor car show the other weekend and was parked across from a brand new Ferrari F430 and my car got more attention than it. Even the kids and young people who tend to go crazy over Ferraris looked at my car instead!

People walk up to my car and comment what a beautiful car, then say "what is it?".

The car is badly in need of a paint job and some body work, but that does not deter

people from admiring the car. When we installed Don's new engine the entire compartment

was painted and all harnesses re-taped etc. When I open the hood they react like a deer

caught in the headlights. Pulled into a grocery store and a man and his wife got out of their

car. He took one look at my car and told his wife to start shopping, he would join her later.

mike

I had a whole string of cars avoid me while going home last Friday...that is of course because my car was spewing black smoke so thick it could clear mosquitos out of a Georgia swamp.

I started smelling burning oil then realized everyone behind me had changed lanes. Luckily my oil pressure was fine, car was running strong and it wasn't raining so I had the window down to breathe. Then I hit the dreaded longest stop light known to man and proceeded to stare at the front of my car as black smoke billowed out from under the hood….every crevice. I shut the car off when I couldn't see the front chrome any more. Since I was in the middle of a 5 lane road and 2 miles from home I chanced the drive back. Unfortunately, my route home is also a popular runners route so I cleared a few of them off the road and had a good laugh as I saw them waving the smoke away from their faces. In the spirit of the name of the thread...I didn't get a positive response from them or the cars that changed lanes or followed me at 150 ft behind me.

I’m sure my neighbors aren’t keen on the half quart of oil that rinsed down my driveway as I looked for the cloudburst in my engine. I figured I threw a rod, blew a head gasket or did some other damage to the engine which I don’t understand but who’s terminology I’ll use anyway. I didn’t. The fah-king mechanical oil pressure line sprung a leak and was shooting oil all over the exhaust manifold and then the oil that wasn’t cooking rolled right on down to the exhaust. Fortunately it was only $6.99 for a new plastic line and I killed a ton of bugs in the process.

Oh yeah, other than that my cars turns a lot of heads and I get 3-4 folks a week hit me up at the gas station or at a red light saying “nice car.” My wife hates it but somehow loves the rolling bondo job deathtrap 1970 Mustang I have. Blows my mind.

-KR

There is something about the fastback 71-73 that I have loved since I was a kid. When I was 8 or 9, a guy down the street had a metallic green 72 Mach 1 with Keystones, and he used to terrorize us and pretend to chase us down, kinda like a live version of that movie `the car`:)

I love Mustang 2`s when done right, King Cobra`s are kinda cool, again, have to be done right. The notchbacks do nothing for me.

My favourite Mustang 2 is the Car Craft/Monroe Handler Mustang, I almost bought a kit on ebay last year for $1500 bux, but there are not many non rotten 2's around these parts anymore.

There is something about the fastback 71-73 that I have loved since I was a kid. When I was 8 or 9, a guy down the street had a metallic green 72 Mach 1 with Keystones, and he used to terrorize us and pretend to chase us down, kinda like a live version of that movie `the car`:)

I love Mustang 2`s when done right, King Cobra`s are kinda cool, again, have to be done right. The notchbacks do nothing for me.

My favourite Mustang 2 is the Car Craft/Monroe Handler Mustang, I almost bought a kit on ebay last year for $1500 bux, but there are not many non rotten 2's around these parts anymore.
handler.jpg

handler2.jpg

I get thumbs up,people I don't know on the road waving at me like we"re best friends,and compliments from a wide range of age groups.Once in a great while someone will point out an imperfection on the car & I figure those are the "jealous cause I don't own a musclecar people".:dodgy:

Nothing but positive responses on this car, on the road and at shows. To be honest the only negative responses I get are off this website, seems people on here like their cars to look all same :huh:

Ron,

I'm so sorry you feel that way. I've NEVER seen that in any of the threads or felt it coming from this community. There are a lot of supportive people here as well as a ton of data. Everyone is willing to share and provide advise, both verbal and digital, as well as parts. (Recently, some have even been made available for just shipping costs!)

And what's more, none of this costs you a thing. You were allowed to log in, read and post comments (within reason), and even submit your car for Car-Of-The-Month (COTM). (It is a nice looking car so good luck with that.)

My only wish is that some of the non-paying members would "pony"-up with the $25.00 member fee to support this site. I've seen quite a few people on here that ask a lot of questions, request assistance, and spend quite a bit of money on their cars but have yet to become VIP members. Surly most of us can afford it. Guys/Gals, SUPPORT THE SITE!

Wow , had no idea this became a paysite, now i see! I dont come on here often and would never pay to be in a car club or site. I didnt know i was getting a favor by submitting my car for COTM seems like people try to get money for everything nowadays. Most of the advice on this site is good, just seems alot of the people on here talk crap about other peoples cars, when theirs look like its been sitting in a field for 20 years. If a person has to pay to get respect on a website, then no thanks i dont want any part of it!

Wow , had no idea this became a paysite, now i see! I dont come on here often and would never pay to be in a car club or site. I didnt know i was getting a favor by submitting my car for COTM seems like people try to get money for everything nowadays. Most of the advice on this site is good, just seems alot of the people on here talk crap about other peoples cars, when theirs look like its been sitting in a field for 20 years. If a person has to pay to get respect on a website, then no thanks i dont want any part of it!
I'm hoping you woke up on a rough bed today. You have a nice car and with a color combo like that you shouldn't take a little comment so seriously. I had a 65 coupe that was yellow with black Shelby stripes and I heard all the bumble bee, yellow jacket jokes I mean its just society I didn't complain about it or stop being friends with my friends that made the comments either.

you don't have to pay to be here at all mind you. Not everyone has the ability to jump in and buy a nice car such as yours. So they buy old and busted and fix them up. Those people come here for advice and are really helpful. My car looked like it had been sitting for 20 years but by your logic I guess its never going to be good enough.

come to think of it, some of your recent post have been negative to the community and I haven't seen any that purposely disrespect you or your mustang.

I guess the problem here is every damn time I post a pic of my car on this website, some shallow minded fool says, green bay packers, john Deere, or whatever. As I stated in another post my car is finally to the point where my family and I can take it to carshows and enjoy it, expecting the same comments as I have been getting off here. To my surprise not one reference to a football team or whatever, only people complimenting on the color scheme, why I get that only here is beyond me (maybe because I haven't paid for a bogus membership) that's sad. I have nothing but respect for any car person who enjoys them as much as I do. All I can say to whomever doesn' Like it, do some soul searching maybe your not a car Guy after all, just want to talk on some website.

I guess the problem here is every damn time I post a pic of my car on this website, some shallow minded fool says, green bay packers, john Deere, or whatever. As I stated in another post my car is finally to the point where my family and I can take it to carshows and enjoy it, expecting the same comments as I have been getting off here. To my surprise not one reference to a football team or whatever, only people complimenting on the color scheme, why I get that only here is beyond me (maybe because I haven't paid for a bogus membership) that's sad. I have nothing but respect for any car person who enjoys them as much as I do. All I can say to whomever doesn' Like it, do some soul searching maybe your not a car Guy after all, just want to talk on some website.
As far as buying my car in the current state, it wasn't even close I have pics and vids to prove otherwise. I'm not saying you won't ever fix your car up, but why say something negative about one that is nicer. Why if someone posts a red and black car

Don't u say Arizona Cardinals, or so on & so on, last I checked my car has nothing to do with a Football team!

You have a rare color scheme and it looks great. Definitely one you don't see much at all. No one is "hating" on that. If they did I think they should join another community. As far as your opinion on donating money you have every right to feel that way but I look at it like this.

the wealth of information specifically to 71-73 mustangs is most apparent here. These forums aren't free to maintain and keep running. If the admin does not keep the site up, it fails to attract new members and their rides and eventually the community dies and then we lose place to share a common love for 71-73 mustangs. I'm sure some other communities are thrilled to share our redheaded stepchild mustangs along with their beloved 64-70's.

Even if one little bit of information or advice saves you from spending $100's on a part you don't need then its totally worth it. But anyway this is probably the most helpful and nicest forum I have ever been on. I envy guys like you who can go to car shows and have people admire their car, for me I just got my first comment today at the gas station and a old guy filling up a old van looks at me and says " what are you trying to do, scare us all" . Not sure if he was resembling the deep exhuast or if he was scared the car was going to explode. I just looked at him and said " I hope not" and carried on my way.

Hi Ron, your car is a unique color combination and I apologize if a comment was made that you did not appreciate. I have seen plenty of positive comments on the nice work you and your family have done on your Mustang. It is a great car that you are making better. As for dues and fees, there are none here. Some generous soul "sponsored" my upgrade to VIP status. I in turn have "sponsored" another member. To me it is worth $25.00 to keep this site afloat. Nuff said about money.

You have a very nice car and have made some good contributions to this site. I for one hope that continues, but if you decide to move move on, that's your decision.

Back