Keyed 12V Power

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang convert
Hello all,

I did a search but couldn't find anything related to this but my search phrase may not be correct.

On a 73 with no AC and no gauge package, is there an open keyed 12 V source under the dash? (12V on when the ignition key is switched on) I'm installing an Autometer oil pressure gauge (electric) and have been looking under the dash for keyed power. There are two open wires I have found but at this point I can't be sure what the color markings are due to access and lighting. One is an open single wire- looks like it is green with red dots and the other is a 4 wire connector (3 female/1 male) that looks like two green wires, a blue w/ red strip and a black wire in it. Does anyone know what these are for? The PO had done some questionable tapping at the fuse block to get keyed power so I have removed all of that and was hoping to find a cleaner way to do it.

Thanks for any help.

Jim

Forum member Midlife will have the best and safest answer for you.

I am a mechanical guy, since I don't want to see your car go up in smoke I will leave this one alone.

kcmash

Your first plug/wire is the emergency brake switch. The second is the plug for the optional clock/map light.

There is no available RUN-only line under the dash. You'll have to splice one in.

You can use an accessory stud that pops into the fuse box. Midlife should have them.
That line is ACC power, not RUN-only.  You can use it for gauge power.  And yes, I have that fuse buss bar extender.

Forum member Midlife will have the best and safest answer for you.

I am a mechanical guy, since I don't want to see your car go up in smoke I will leave this one alone.

kcmash
kcmash.

Thanks! I will check out what Midlife says.

Your first plug/wire is the emergency brake switch.  The second is the plug for the optional clock/map light.

There is no available RUN-only line under the dash.  You'll have to splice one in.
Midlife, Thanks for reply.

Should the emergency brake switch wire be connected to something?? I'm guessing yes?

You can use an accessory stud that pops into the fuse box. Midlife should have them.
That line is ACC power, not RUN-only.  You can use it for gauge power.  And yes, I have that fuse buss bar extender.
Hemikiller, Thanks for the info!

Midlife,  in your reply "That line is ACC power, not RUN-only"  what is "that line" ? are you referring to the 4 wire connector? Is the fuse buss bar extender on your website? I will take a look.

Midlife,  in your reply "That line is ACC power, not RUN-only"  what is "that line" ? are you referring to the 4 wire connector? Is the fuse buss bar extender on your website? I will take a look.
Buss Bar extender is a fused accessory post on the fuse box under the dash. Depending on your cars options you may have it or you may not. Cars that have a lot of options typically will have it. The first pic is the fusebox without it, The second is with it. The third is the buss bar extender.

Buss Bar extender is a fused accessory post on the fuse box under the dash. Depending on your cars options you may have it or you may not. Cars that have a lot of options typically will have it. The first pic is the fusebox without it, The second is with it. The third is the buss bar extender.

Thanks Rackerm

So is the last image the part that Midlife sells?  Does this allow more than one item to be connected since the ends has 3 connectors?

That's what I sell (along with the 3 prong bullet plug extender), and yes, you can add 3 items to the 3 pin connector, up to 20 amps.

Back