Leaking power steering gear box

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey @Steve McMahan
The most work before even start is cleaning everything to a pristine state. That cost bit of time, then servicing that thing entirely is done in a couple of hours, (not counting paint etc...)
There is 2 things you need watch out for. The balls are not the same, once clean, you will see they have a different tint. They need go back in alternatively. There I recommend have 2 containers and pick them one at a time, may you don't remember which one needs to go next, you simply count and the container with the most and it's the color you need push. One simple trick to insert them easy back in is to screw the shaft on side to the max and simply turn back till you can push one in. There are other ways to do it, but they felt not to be the right one to me once I was busy.
The second thing is the rear seal, it has a very sharp L lip. It is very easy to f$%^ it up. Similar to the pistons seal of an AOD trans, may you find it challenging to insert it, (lots of drama for it is to be seen on utube) there is a simple and easy trick to insert it without any issue or effort may you find it challenging. Tape it with plastic tape (not paper) in the compressed state and put in in the freezer for 2 or 3 hours. Once frozen, you can remove the tape easy and it will enter the bore as a letter in a postbox. It will regain its shape within a few minutes and you won't have to order a new one...

If of any help, I have kinda documented my rebuild here...
https://7173mustangs.com/threads/fabrices-429cj-71-project.30729/page-31

Thank you sir for the excellent tips; my plan is to only take the packing around the steering shaft off and replace that, hoping it either solves or greatly reduces the leak. I know that is no Bueno to most folks, but it’s what I can afford for time.

I’m truly building just a fun, around town (at my Vaca home) car. Maybe make it to a local car show for fun. In the next phase (at least one year from now), I’ll be disassembling a lot of the vehicle, to get to any hidden rust; to do a nice paint and body job. That’s when I’ll remove the gear box and likely buy a new one.

I didnt see it? did someone list the part # for the Redhead replacement gear box? If not does someone have that? I have a 71 mach with 351c 2v

Can anyone tell me if a 1978 cougar gear box will fit a 71 mustang mach 1 ??
I have a lead on one.
Thank you for your help!!
Rod
On another note? would anyone have a core that I could buy? My box has a crack in it.

I have a lead on one.
Rod
On another note? would anyone have a core that I could buy? My box has a crack in it.
Only if it is a Saginaw 800 box with the inverted Y bolt pattern. No idea what PS box is on a 78 Cougar, so probably I'm not too much help.
By the time you pay for shipping on a core, wouldn't you be better of just buying one that doesn't require a core trade in?

I have a lead on one.
Rod
I don’t want to sound dense but are you sure it is a crack?

Yes it is :) Its a female not a male.... Haha

It shoots the fluid out as the pump generates pressure ( which could be a male). LOL
Im sure Randy will have fun with this post :)

Last edited:
Only if it is a Saginaw 800 box with the inverted Y bolt pattern. No idea what PS box is on a 78 Cougar, so probably I'm not too much help.
By the time you pay for shipping on a core, wouldn't you be better of just buying one that doesn't require a core trade in?
Might be cheaper? depends on how much the member on here charges me for the core ? I wanted to go with what the guys on here recommended as the Redhead gear box. I do feel that is the best choice!.

The guy that has the one Im interested in, doesnt have the gear box where he can take a picture of it. Its in a 78 cougar. I would just go there but its 100 miles away.

@machattack
Check out this website re 78 Cougar PS boxes. Looks like there are Ford type and Saginaw. The Saginaw looks to be the same as on the 71-73 Mustangs. Check what the guy has.
https://www.buyautoparts.com/autoparts/1978/Mercury/Cougar/Power_Steering_Gear_Box
Thank you Stanglover! That was very help full! I posted there description below.
Fits certain Ford and Mercury models originally equipped with a Saginaw gearbox with 4-bolt cover plate, including 1971-79 Cougar, 1975 Montego, 1965-69 Galaxie 500, Custom, Custom 500, Country Sedan & Ranch Wagon, 1967-69 Country Squire, 1965 Montclair & Colony Park, 1972-76 Gran Torino, 1971-73 Mustang, 1972-79 Thunderbird, 1973-75 Torino and 1975-76 Elite. Look for casting number SPA-A, SPA-S, SPA-T or SPA-U on your original gearbox to confirm fitment!

The 78 Cougar could have a Ford or Saginaw box. You don't want the Ford. The top cover is the easy way to identify them, the Ford has two bolts, the Saginaw has four. I wouldn't make the trip without him positively identifying it.

Another potential source is the 71-73 Cougar

Ford box
1685014016365.png

Saginaw box

1685014059286.png

Thank you Stanglover! That was very help full! I posted there description below.
Fits certain Ford and Mercury models originally equipped with a Saginaw gearbox with 4-bolt cover plate, including 1971-79 Cougar, 1975 Montego, 1965-69 Galaxie 500, Custom, Custom 500, Country Sedan & Ranch Wagon, 1967-69 Country Squire, 1965 Montclair & Colony Park, 1972-76 Gran Torino, 1971-73 Mustang, 1972-79 Thunderbird, 1973-75 Torino and 1975-76 Elite. Look for casting number SPA-A, SPA-S, SPA-T or SPA-U on your original gearbox to confirm fitment!
Good work there. The SPA-T or V are the variable ratio 16 to 13:1 and imo, be the better choice. The SPA-S or U are standard 17.5:1 ratio (4 turns). The Mustang tag book only goes to 73, so you could also be looking for SPA- AC or AE 17.5:1 or SPA-AD or AF for variable ratio. More information may be available elsewhere.

The 78 Cougar could have a Ford or Saginaw box. You don't want the Ford. The top cover is the easy way to identify them, the Ford has two bolts, the Saginaw has four. I wouldn't make the trip without him positively identifying it.

Another potential source is the 71-73 Cougar

Ford box
View attachment 77128

Saginaw box

View attachment 77129
As usual your spot on Hemi Killer! I went to a couple junk yards with the potential fitting chart that I posted from Stanglover. Of the 3 cars I checked from the list all of them had the Ford box and NOT the Saginaw box. Dang it.

no it will not,
just get the right one. they're not expensive. check this link.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/...ive-car-1971-ford-mustang?q=steering+gear+box
I went to Oriely to check on the steering gear box. They havnt got back with me yet as it would have to be ordered, and a buyer must order it. If its available.
no it will not,
just get the right one. they're not expensive. check this link.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/...ive-car-1971-ford-mustang?q=steering+gear+box
Oriely called back and the Buyer says they are No longer available.

I went to Oriely to check on the steering gear box. They havnt got back with me yet as it would have to be ordered, and a buyer must order it. If its available.

Oriely called back and the Buyer says they are No longer available.
I got mine from Summit/Lares Direct, new was $500, I threw my unit old out, sorry
here is the link.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/LSC-10806

Back