lights and dash lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikleins29

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback 351cleveland 4 speed
So I replaced my headlight switch and hi beam dimmer switch that solved the headlightflickering problem but still no dash lights so I found I had no fuse in the block but also no power getting to the fuse so I traced power all the way down to the pin in the fuse block connecter to make a long story short the fuse block connecter had a push out, the wire was slightly pushed out not making contact with the pin fixed that put a fuse in and now I have dashlights there is a new issue to where the left turn signal light stays on when the lights are on, always something I will get to that issue at a later date but now I have to fix the gas gauge. The gauge and wires are fine because when I ground out the wires at the sending unit the gauge reads all the way full so now to take the sending unit out to see if I can fix it or just replace it all together.

When you say your turn signal light stays on, that usually means one bulb is out. If all of your exterior bulbs are on with the turn signal on, then your turn signal switch is bad. The only alternative is that your flasher can is bad, but since you only mention one side doesn't flash, one can rule out the flasher can.

Midlife, I think he means when he has his headlights or park lights on..... I am thinking a short to power somewhere.

poor ground...you are getting voltage feedback.

clean your harness ground wire connections located on the radiator support.

A bad bulb can cause it also.

Last edited by a moderator:
With regard to the sending unit. Consider plugging it into the harness before installation and moving the float to verify that it is your problem and that the replacement part works before you go to the trouble of pulling the old one.
To do this, you also need to ground the sending unit housing to the car chassis.

Back